Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Got caught shoplifting as a minor

rpaeskew

Jurisdiction
Texas
So, I went to Target and went to get a phone charger. didnt have enough and didn't think they really checked their cameras so I just took it. They stopped me on the way out the door and took me into a room. The charger was only $20, in the room they took my info, then the guy said he doesn't want to give me a ticket for $20 so to just go. but i'm wondering if i'm gonna get any letter in the mail since they have my address, or am i really just off the hook? the guy was a undercover employee. didn't take any pics of me and i didn't sign anything either

So, I went to Target and went to get a phone charger. didnt have enough and didn't think they really checked their cameras so I just took it. They stopped me on the way out the door and took me into a room. The charger was only $20, in the room they took my info, then the guy said he doesn't want to give me a ticket for $20 so to just go. but i'm wondering if i'm gonna get any letter in the mail since they have my address, or am i really just off the hook? the guy was a undercover employee. didn't take any pics of me and i didn't sign anything either

You're a minor.
You can't be sued for anything.
The police weren't involved then, they won't become involved now.
This is really simple, stay out of that store for at least a YEAR, just don't return to that store.
This time NEXT year, if you have a hankering to go to that store, you should be okay as long as you don't do anything STUPID.

In Texas your parents can only be sued for certain things you, as a minor do.
This particular alleged act, doesn't fall into one of those exceptions.

You got lucky, mate.

Now get smart, stay smart, and if you can't afford to pay for it, leave it be.

It's possible you could get a letter, but not likely. If a demand is made your parents will be responsible for dealing with it.
It's surprising you were released without even involving your parents. You'll have some explaining to do if a demand letter does arrive.

You're a minor.
This is really simple, stay out of that store for at least a YEAR, just don't return to that store.
This time NEXT year, if you have a hankering to go to that store, you should be okay as long as you don't do anything STUPID.

You got lucky, mate.

Thanks man. I'm definitely never gonna do it again

It's possible you could get a letter, but not likely. If a demand is made your parents will be responsible for dealing with it.
It's surprising you were released without even involving your parents. You'll have some explaining to do if a demand letter does arrive.

I was looking up how much it would cost if I were to get a letter. Since im a first offense
You're a minor.

You got lucky, mate.

So I shouldn't worry about any letters in the mail?

Whether you are a first time offender or not doesn't matter. The letter you MIGHT receive is part of a civil action. The store would want to be paid to counter the cost of loss prevention efforts. Again, as you describe the situation, it seems unlikely you will get this letter, but you did give your information... so maybe,
If you were to receive a demand letter they would likely want a couple hundred dollars.
There is no criminal action taking place, and you are a minor who can't be sued, so if the store wants to pursue this and get payment they would have to go after your parents. It is likely not worth their time and effort.

You got very lucky. Stop stealing. Everyone is watching.

I was looking up how much it would cost if I were to get a letter. Since im a first offense

So I shouldn't worry about any letters in the mail?

Read my respons ebelow carefully.

You allege to be a minor.
Minors can't be sued in civil courts.
Your parents can sometimes be sued for certain things you might do.
Stealing, or criminal activity isn't one of those acts in which you engage where your parents could be held civilly liable for your bad behavior.

You are experiencing guilt.
You have a conscience.
I am NOT a psychiatrist, but I have represented many criminals.
Most criminals share one trait, they tend to be sociopaths or worse.
Your behavior reveals you aren't a true sociopath.
Because you aren't sociopath, you wouldn't fare well as a criminal.

Now, forget this incident, and don't ever break nay laws for the rest of your life.
If you're thinking of stealing property, vandalizing property, writing a bad check, or any other criminal act; stop.

You won't succeed at crime.

That is a good thing, mate.

Bottom line, there will be no letter sent to your parents, because you didn't give the nice loss prevention agent your name or your parents' names.

You're welcome, and go forth never to sin again, young person.

You really thought they don't check their cameras? Wow.

Back