Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Got an MIP in Sterling Heights, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monni19

Ok, I went to canada on sat. night and on the way home (about 2 am) my friend who was driving my car got pulled over. The two officers approached the car and gave us a breath test (only after max five minutes of seeing us) arrested both of us, giving her a DUI and myself an MIP. We were held at the jail until 1030 the next morning, where I could leave on $100 bail.(Im only 19) Are they required to read us our rights at that point? Or only if we are interrigated? I have never gotten anything like this, and I have to set up a court date. Im not sure if I should plead guily or no contest/mute, what kind of penalties Im looking at, how much its going to cost, etc. The officers at the jail said I would be fined, but my $100 bail money may cover it. Can I get some advice?

Since you're in Michigan . You'll be in court . Sterling Hts is in Macomb county and I think Macomb is easier than Oakland county but anyway . If it is your first offense your record will be clean after one year of probation . The fine and court cost and all of the requirements that you have to do gonna cost you somewhere $500-1500 . Yes it's lots of money involved the court is so broke nowaday they will squeeze every pennies out of your pocket . This is the breakdown of what you will have to pay ( I hope the judge will have mercy on you)
Court cost and fines-------------350
PSI(pre sentence investigation)-------90
Probation fee-----------------600 (for 1 year)
LEAP class-----------------90
MADD Impact panel class----------30
Random alcohol/drug test-----------------40 (each time) they randomly selected you

Anything else please ask.

More Questions

Alright the officer had said my bail would cover the fine, which obviously doesnt look true- but is there any way with a lawyer i may be able to get out of it, seeing as I was coming home from a legal drinking country/age?

OK since you were in Canada . You can take a deep breath . You will be ok . The new law state like this:
THE NEW LAW PERMITS 19 AND 20 YEARS OLD WHO CONSUMED ALCOHOL LEGALLY THE OPTION TO USE THIS AS AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE
THE LAW NOW INCLUDES A PROVISION FOR MINORS WHO LEGALLY CONSUME ALCOHOL IN CANADA OR WISCONSIN TO OFFER THIS AS"AN AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE" IN A CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. THIS MEANS THAT THE POLICE MAY ARREST ANY YOUTH WITH BAC OF .02 OR ABOVE. IF THE YOUTH CAN PROVE IN A COURT OF LAW THAT HE/SHE CONSUMED THE ALCOHOL IN A VENUE OF LOCATION WHERE THAT CONSUMPTION IS LEGAL, THE CHARGE WILL BE DISMISSED. IT IS NOT AN ISSUE ON CITING A MINOR WITH MIP. NOTE: THE AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE DOESNOT AFFECT THE ZERO TOLERANCE SECTION FOR THE OWI LAW. IT IS STILL ILLEGAL FOR A MINOR TO DRIVE WITH BAC OF .02 OR MORE

Save your money you don't need a lawyer . I don't know how you can proved it a receipt or some kind of paper from Canada ? anything else please ask .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back