Assault & Battery Giving police statement while drunk

Tshaner07

Jurisdiction
Nevada
My son was charged with battery, domestic violence and trespassing. First off the owners of the home we I've in allow him to be here so will that be dropped. Secondly, we got into a verbal argument and I only remember bits and pieces due to the fact that I was drunk. I do not even know what I wrote in my statement. A witness wrote that he his me in the arm. I do not remember this or any physical altercation with him and I have no pain or marks on my body. Here's the thing. The witness is in my opinion not reliable because she is an alcoholic and addict and who knows what she was on. Also she was charged with battery on both myself and my son and I believe she made the statement out of revenge. I had to ask her what happened so I only have what she said to go on. However, she is a compulsive liar, addict, has open cases herself on me for battery and I have caught and confronted her for stealing from me. I need to know since I can't remember him ever hitting me, what do I do. Can I get into trouble if I said something in my statement based on what she told me. I was not under oath but was intoxicated when filling out the statement and don't even remember what I wrote.

As usual - booze and stupidity - inseparable.

Can you get in trouble - Sure.

Will you get in trouble - Impossible to predict.

What I can tell you is this: Your son needs to keep his mouth shut and hire a lawyer. He shouldn't be talking to you or anybody else about all this except for the lawyer who is the only one qualified to get your son out of this mess.

I suggest that you also keep your mouth shut about it, too.

Oh, one more thing, get some treatment for your alcoholism before worse things happen in your life.

The witness is in my opinion not reliable because she is an alcoholic...

Oh, and YOU are reliable? You were drunk and admit you don't remember everything.

And don't go assuming ANY charges will be dropped - you don't sound as if you are well versed in criminal law.

As Jack pointed out - your son needs an attorney.

More info is needed to assess the trespass issue, but it is not uncommon for police to arrest for several offenses and have one or two of them either modified or removed by the prosecutor if there is insufficient evidence to support the charge.

If you ere clearly intoxicated at the time you provided a statement then the weight of that statement would be minimal. What is far more important than your statement at the time of the incident is your testimony in court if you should ever be called to testify.

I suspect, just based on the limited info you gave here, that this might all disappear on its own. If there are no injuries, no reliable witnesses, and an uncooperative victim, then the prosecutor won't waste much time with it.

I'm s
Oh, and YOU are reliable? You were drunk and admit you don't remember everything.

And don't go assuming ANY charges will be dropped - you don't sound as if you are well versed in criminal law.

As Jack pointed out - your son needs an attorney.
I am a recovering alcoholic with 4 yrs clean but I relapsed so I am a lot more reliable then you know. However, I can understand how you feel that way. I should have clarified in my question that I am in recovery 4+ years. Thank you

My son was charged with battery, domestic violence and trespassing. First off the owners of the home we I've in allow him to be here so will that be dropped. Secondly, we got into a verbal argument and I only remember bits and pieces due to the fact that I was drunk. I do not even know what I wrote in my statement. A witness wrote that he his me in the arm. I do not remember this or any physical altercation with him and I have no pain or marks on my body. Here's the thing. The witness is in my opinion not reliable because she is an alcoholic and addict and who knows what she was on. Also she was charged with battery on both myself and my son and I believe she made the statement out of revenge. I had to ask her what happened so I only have what she said to go on. However, she is a compulsive liar, addict, has open cases herself on me for battery and I have caught and confronted her for stealing from me. I need to know since I can't remember him ever hitting me, what do I do. Can I get into trouble if I said something in my statement based on what she told me. I was not under oath but was intoxicated when filling out the statement and don't even remember what I wrote.

P.s. let me clarify I am a recovering alcoholic with 4+ years clean and had relapsed that day due to losing my home and other issues. I'm not an active alcoholic.

I'm s

I am a recovering alcoholic with 4 yrs clean but I relapsed so I am a lot more reliable then you know. However, I can understand how you feel that way. I should have clarified in my question that I am in recovery 4+ years. Thank you

This bad event can also be a teachable moment for your son.
You can discuss with him what excess (or in in some cases mere use) use of alcohol can cause.
No need to beat you up, I'm pretty sure you're doing that to yourself.
Yes, the kid will eventually need an attorney, maybe some bond money.
It might be wise to begin those preparations.
Good luck, and you've now been sober for two days.
You gotta start somewhere to get anywhere.

This bad event can also be a teachable moment for your son.
You can discuss with him what excess (or in in some cases and) use of alcohol can cause.
No need to beat you up, I'm pretty sure you're doing that to yourself.
Yes, the kid will eventually need an attorney, maybe some bond money.
It might be wise to begin those preparations.
Good luck, and you've now been sober for two days.
You gotta start somewhere to get anywhere.

Yes I am beating myself up over it and thank you for your kind, understanding words.

Back