GF/BF Co-sign and reasonable intent

Status
Not open for further replies.

azupsguy

GF needed Co-sign in order to get Apt. It stated in the contract that she was responsible for the full amount of rent each month, the Co-signer needed only in the event that rent was short for a given rental period on the 1 yr. Lease. I also had the right to refuse to pay balance outright and the right to negotiate a separate verbal or written agreement to pay the balance.

The second rental period (2nd month of 12) she was going to be short half
the rent, rent being $610.00 per month. she paid half her rent somewhere
around the 10th, notifying the landlord that I would pay the other half, and needed to talk to me about it. I had agreed earlier that week to pay $305.00
if she couldn't come up with it by whatever date the landlord gave her to have
it paid by. landlord was very open with all the tenants and so verbal agreements
were common. Middle of month comes and she still doesn't have balance. I have not heard from landlord, and GF shows me 5-day notice to pay rent, written by landlord on 10th, telling me I didn't pay the other half. Now there is
one day left on notice. next morning around 11am on the 16th, i go to the landlord and make verbal agreement to pay 152.50 that day 152.50 on the 23rd.

I pay the 152.50 with money order that then-wife got at her bank (separated at time divorced now) paying for it herself as a loan to me. stop at GF apt before work and tell her rent is paid.
After work I stop and she is laying around in a filthy apartment, screaming at
me saying I didn't pay rent like I promised. I replied yes, I did. She says NO,
you didn't and hands me another copy of the same 5-day writ with a handwritten" To be squashed" court fee of $60.00. She tells me landlord came and wanted another 60.00 to squash this, so you couldn't had paid rent. I respond landlord said nothing about that fee to me but it doesn't effect that I paid the rent, in fact it proves it, (besides receipt and verbal with landlord)

At this point I tell her I paid the rent, she says no...so i smack my hand down on sewing table in frustration and the ashtray fly's across room, strewing butts all over. I mutter sorry under my breath and bend over to
pick it up, looking back to her as I stood up with the ashtray, when WHAM,
GF smashes sewing machine (whole thing) down on my head, catching my Jaw full swing. Shes screaming something, I get up, go straight to the front
door, and walk to my vehicle, while shes screaming from the doorway 'woman abuser'. I drive back to my RV, parked alongside my then-wife's house, when she comes out to get receipt for rent, she notices the orange-sized knot on jaw and neck. I told her what happened, she said nothing and left in a huff.
i avoid the girlfriend for a few days, PMS ing. She calls me on the 20th says
told you you didn't pay the rent. hangs up. next day landlord calls me tells me
i guess you refuse to pay balance tells me he wrote up another writ on the 17th with two days left then hangs up. I call the ex-wife and she simply states 'she hit you with the sewing machine you bought her, in the apartment
you co-signed for her so she wasn't out on the street, that she should have
paid herself in the first place. I went back to my credit union and paid another $50 to void that money order.

All this to answer two questions. Did I or did I not pay her rent or attempt to
with reasonable intent on my part? I say two questions really seeking two answers to the same one. One answer from the technical standpoint, and one from the ethical standpoint. Thank you for time and prompt reply in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back