Getting Emancipated For "Pleasure" Reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

15cool

I've read a few threads on this forum about people wanted to get emancipated. However, it seems all of them are doing it because they are having "problems" with their parents.

I'm not having that problem. I just want to live on my own so I can ski all the time. My parents want me to finish highschool (No GED) and then go to college.

I don't want that at all.

Basically, I need two things:

1) The legal ability to own real estate and sign contracts.
2) The right to live on my own in Aspen, CO without interference from my parents, who would rather me waste away the next 2 years of my life in highschool, when instead I could be training for the US Olympic Team.

I can support myself financially.

What are my chances?

I'm a little over 15 years old.

Also, a couple more things:

Currently, I live in Los Angeles, CA. I would like to move to Aspen, CO.

Also, is there any way to speed up the 10 week wait period? I'd like to move as soon as possible and get a few business things set over the summer before ski season starts. I also need to go to Oregon for a couple of weeks.

I think you'll be fighting an uphill battle with the courts and your parents to become emancipated. Here's a summary of emancipation in CA.

http://www.lsc-sf.org/problems/emancipation.html

I know this isn't your favorite choice, but if you suck it up until you are 18 you are home free. Three years only seem like eternity.;)

ibis, thanks.

There's no way I'm going to continue with school work so I won't accept the "live with it until you're 18" option. I'm not going to spend 6 hours daily learning bullcrap when instead I could be either making money or skiing.

I guess what I may have to do is just start failing, or start doing even worse than failing on purpose. Instead of not learning the material, giving wrong answers, causing problems after school, etc. Then I assume my parents will kick me out, and if what I read was true, if my parents are unwilling to take care of me, I don't need their consent for emancipation?

Can anyone confirm this?

Do you know if there is even a chance of me winning emancipation or should I just start making a problem NOW so I can be kicked out before the school year is over?

I'd like to be moved out by July, so if failing and making a problem is what I would have to do, I'm going to need to start doing it asap to make them care enough.

Also, If I claimed to be doing drugs (but really wasn't) just to piss them off, would they be able to use it against me if I try to get emancipated? Could they send me to a rehab center just because I said I was doing drugs?

15Cool,

Clearly you're a sharp kid. So sharp you're going to cut yourself. If your parents love you there is no effin way they will emancipate you. And you're not going to convince a judge that you should be emancipated either. Dropping out and claiming you're doing drugs are more likely to get you into Child Protective Services or Juvenile Court/Detention. I guarantee both of those would be more limiting to you than living with your parents. And you'll still have to go to school. Call child legal services and see what they say too. Don't just trust a schmuck on the net.

I think you still have unexplored options. If high school blows, see if they'll let you take college courses for credit. Another alternative, which I chose, was early graduation. I blew through all the graduation requirements in 3 years and was out just before my 17th birthday. (Didn't hurt me either, I'm in a phd program now) If you want to make the olympic team start making contact with olympic calibur coachs. Start going to ski clinics and make contacts.

You might have to break down anmd talk with your parents and take turns listening. I think you'll get farther bargaining with 'rents than going through the courts.

I can't graduate high school. It'll be bad marketing for an upcoming self-help course I'm coming out with, as well as a line of "how to make money running websites" infoproducts that all compete with each other. I'll make loads more sales if I can say "If a 15 year old high school dropout (me) can make $15k/month with these techniques, if you can't you're just plain pathetic."

Ski clinics are a bit hard to do. I'm in Los Angeles. My parents don't want me going anywhere. Although I like to think positively, I also am a semi-realistic person. It seems a bit far-fetched for me to expect to make the US Olympic Team even with only two months of skiing every year, and that's assuming I go to every summer camp my parents would think of letting me go to.

My dad already has said no to early graduation. I can't stand formal education in general anyway. College courses would be worse because they're more work.

I guess I'll have to look into bargaining, but that's only if I can't manage to get a fake ID and a place in Andorra.

A judge wouldn't even consider emancipating me if my parents kicked me out? I guess if they did kick me out though I could always prepay rent a year's rent to a property owner willing to "bend" laws a bit. Only problem is the cheapest place I've found so far is $7500/month, and I won't have $90k for another month at least - and school is out 10 days after that. It doesn't give me much of a chance to make a problem and get kicked out.

I guess I could always rent various condos in resort towns. Although they say they won't rent to under 18s they never know the difference, and they never actually see my face in the first place. If the lock box with the key doesn't work, usually the person that comes out to help doesn't know the rules or doesn't know the parents aren't just waiting in the car because they're freezing.

Thanks for your help/advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back