Getting a Police Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdude

Hi,

I was rear ended at a stop sign a couple weeks back. The damage was not major as the bumper cover only needs replacing on my car and the other car had no damage. I agreed, foolishly maybe, not to go through insurance for the damage to my 1994 vehicle. The lady accepted responsibility and said she would pay for the damages and to send her some estimates. I got 3 quotes and the lowest being 650. I sent her all three quotes and said I would take 600 and be done with it. Her english isn't the greatest and complained it was too much. I'm speaking with a friend of hers who speaks english better and he wants me to bring it down to where they live so a local garage their can give an estimate. I want to know, since I didn't get a police report the day of the accident, how long do i have before getting one....if that is possible. Also, do I have to get it in the same county I had the accident in? I live in NY state. Thanks in advance.

The police are very unlikely to take a late police report of a non-injury collision. Even if they did, they could not likely determine fault so the report is largely irrelevant.

And, no, you can't report to anyone but the agency of jurisdiction where the collision took place.

I doubt that you will get anyone to take a collision report at this point. You can always ask, but it really does nothing to change the situation as it is not a crime to get into a collision. Your best bet would be to speak to your insurer.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back