1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Get deposit from a landlord abroad

Discussion in 'Credit, Debt and Collection' started by SwissFlyer, Jul 21, 2021.

1. SwissFlyer

SwissFlyer Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    Hello,

When I was renting a room in Santa Cruz, CA, my landlord and his mother was systematically harassing me, then illegally evicted me and did not return to me the rest of the rent and the deposit.

The official landlord whose name was written on the lease and to whom I paid the rent possesses that house in Santa Cruz, but lives and works in Russia.

His mother who was representing him lives in that house, but supposedly does not have a bank account, perhaps not employed, does not have a car etc.

If I get a judgement against them, would there be any way to enforce it and get my rent and deposit back?

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

It's extremely unlikely that you'll see any money, even if you win.

3. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

While I doubt you would ever see any money either a judgment against the landlord may allow you to place a lien on the house.

4. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Just so you're aware, this is a meaningless allegation without any facts to back it up.

How so?

There is no conceivable way for anyone here to know this (beyond what "PayrollHRGuy" mentioned about putting a lien on the property).