Roomate Georgia roommate tenant issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopelessly8787

I have a problem with the girl i live with. Im renting a room from her and she is constantly changing the rules. Shes trying to make me sign an agreement now after five months of renting from her. Is this even legal? My name is no where on the lease on the apartment. She is saying that if we dont sign this then we have to move out.

I have a problem with the girl i live with. Im renting a room from her and she is constantly changing the rules. Shes trying to make me sign an agreement now after five months of renting from her. Is this even legal? My name is no where on the lease on the apartment. She is saying that if we dont sign this then we have to move out.

She can say anything she wants to say.

You could leave, if you wanted to leave.

If I were you, I'd leave.

Why stay where you feel uncomfortable, or misused?

Legally, you only have to leave when you are evicted by court order.

That means she (or someone) would have to bring an eviction action.

That requires a series of precisely executed steps.

It all begins with you being given a notice to vacate.

You could ignore it, or leave.

Eventually, it'll boil down to an eviction hearing before a judge.

You'll be evicted or you won't.

Here's a thought, why not rent a studio or one bedroom apartment in YOUR own name?

That's what most adults do.

Otherwise, you'll always be at risk of some insufferable fool's or tyrant's ego!

Eviction process in GA, should you choose to stay put:

http://www.dca.state.ga.us/housing/...ownloads/Georgia_Landlord_Tenant_Handbook.pdf

Chances are she is renting to you without the lalandlord's permission. Perhaps the landlord is insisting on a new lease agreement since a new tenant (you) came in.
The landlord can force both of you out if there is a lease violation (subletting).

Yes but i need to know is, is it legal for her to make us sign a paper about all of her new rules even if she doesnt feel the need to.follow them?

The landlord knows im in here... she doesnt care as long as rent it paid on time. But is she legally allowed to make me sign a fo about following new rules that were not in the original verbal agreement when i first moved in 5 months ago.

She can ask you to sign it but you can refuse & you don't have to leave unless/until you are evicted by a court order.

Why not look for someplace else to live as suggested previously?

Yall dont live in Georgia do you? Lol Ive been trying to find a second job so i can move out but until i can find someone to hire me its not looking like i can move out. Im from Alaska and i had enough money to live off of from one job... down here... i barely make ends meat...

Yall dont live in Georgia do you? Lol Ive been trying to find a second job so i can move out but until i can find someone to hire me its not looking like i can move out. Im from Alaska and i had enough money to live off of from one job... down here... i barely make ends meat...

No, I'm a homeless lawyer trying to make it in Texas. The professor hired me to help on this website and I get $2 a post. Yeah, it's hard, I can't get my own place in Texas. No one will hire me after I messed up that last case and got caught taking a little bribe. People are too darn picky sometimes and hold grudges. Sheesh.

The professor has been great to me, he's a real angel.

Maybe we'll find a place soon. Good luck pal.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Well, I AM in Georgia and what the others have told you is correct.

In the absence of a written lease, you have a "tenancy at will" in this state (I'm assuming you pay your rent on a monthly basis).

IF your roommate is acting as your landlord, she needs to provide you with a SIXTY day notice to terminate this type of lease.

There are also a number of steps she needs to take to legally evict you but these cost money and it's doubtful she will go that route.

You mention struggling financially. I'm assuming you are paying your share of the rent, correct?

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back