1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Georgia Realtor Agreement legal wording question

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling a Home or Residence' started by John23, Nov 26, 2019.

1. John23

John23 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Georgia
    The attachment is from Georgia association of realtors Form 201, "exclusive seller listing agreement". My question is part c. at the very bottom of the attached image.

Survival: The commission rights of Broker and the commission obligations of Seller set forth herein shall survive termination or expiration of this Agreement.

This Survival clause sounds like its indefinite. So how does this make sense when obviously realtor agreements are for a certain length of time only? What does this clause even mean? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      183.2 KB
      Views:
  2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

It means what it says and my guess is that it refers only to 6a and 6b as the only rights that survive after the expiration.

If you don't like it don't sign it. If the realtor won't change it get another realtor. If that's a form required by the state realtor association then you are either stuck with it or you sell your house without listing it through a realtor.

3. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

I've always thought it meant that if the Broker finds a prospective buyer who, after the listing agreement ends, buys the property that the commission is still owed.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

That's how I have seen listing agreements worded in the past but this one doesn't appear to say that.