Consumer Law, Warranties general contractor; failed job

Status
Not open for further replies.

stacynyc

We hired a general contractor 8 months ago for a complete renovation of 1 bedroom condo. The whole apartment was renovated including the walls, the ceiling, the bathroom and the rooms.
The contractor was licensed and had an insurance at the time of service.
About two weeks ago I noticed 3 cracks on the ceiling. I called that contractor. He told me he would call me back and never did. I called numerous times but couldn't reach him.
I called another contractor to take a look at the cracks. He told me the ceiling had to be repaired: the wooden frames and the sheetrock were probably rotten and getting loose. My super also told me that two apartments in the building had similar cracks few years back and that the ceilings fell in both apartment seriously injuring the tenants. The super also told me that my previous contractor probably didn't do the job right, leaving rooten sheetrock behind, and that I have to have the ceiling fixed immediately.
Does the contractor that I hired 8 months ago has any liability towards the ceiling not being properly fixed? Does his insurance have any liability?
Thank you

Step one: Notify the contractor in writing CRRR of the problem with a copy to his insurance carrier.

Step two: Have a professional inspect the situation and give you a report. You will need to provide him with a copy of your contract so he can evalute the responsibility of the contractor.

Step three: Depends on the results of 1 and 2. If the inspector determines it is faulty workmanship and the contractor has not replied, you need to notify the licensing board and then get three estimates to correct the problem. Contact the insurance carrier directly and make a claim. There may or may not be insurance coverage. This will depend on his policy and state law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back