Geico won't pay against a claim

Status
Not open for further replies.

candyman99

My son was sideswiped on Route 80 in Morris County, NJ. Both parties waited for the police to arrive. While waiting, the other driver's husband came to the scene and left before the police arrived. The state trooper took statements from both parties and wrote a report. Both drivers claim that the other came into their lane and hit them. The report states, "investigation revealed both vehicles were traveling on I-80 when vehicle 1 (not my son) side swiped V2 (my son's car)" and also indicates that vehicle 1 performed an improper lane change. My son's car does not have collision, so we made a claim with the other driver's insurance, Geico. They denied the claim, stating that since there were no independent witnesses and therefore there is insufficient evidence. I asked the adjuster and her supervisor why the police report was not considered and they state that the trooper did not see the accident and therefore his statement is not valid for use in the claim.I called the trooper and he was still convinced that what he wrote in his report is what happened. The trooper even volunteered to speak to the adjuster at Geico to explain his reasoning. Geico actually called and spoke with him and then they restated their position that the trooper wasn't there and his statement isn't useful. My son is out of the country studying abroad now, so he isn't available to participate in a court appearance if I chose a small claims approach. Damages are about $2,000. What can I do to get Geico to pay for the damage on our car? Now I know where they get all their money for advertising.

This is pretty much standard procedure for all insurance companies, especially when their exposure is minimal. Unfortunately, your son will need to testify if it goes to court. You can file and see if they will offer to settle. I do not know anything about Geico's standard procedure but it is likely they will make you at least show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back