garnishment of property other than wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

peggycarol

I got this notice yesterday, I went directly to my bank and was able to take out all the money in both accounts. I'm on a checking account with my father and another account with my daughter to just help them with deposits and banking qusestion my dad is 81 and my daughter is 19. I have a few questions. Do I need to respond to the letter I got?? also can they come after me for the money that was in the accounts?? also can they track down who I am working for to get a garnishment of wages??

What did the letter say?

They can't seize any property/garnish any wages without a court order.

It generally is easy for them to track down where you are working.

writ of garnishment on property other than wages

I received a letter from the district court of maryland:

served on: garnishee pnc bank

in the content of the letter:
To the Garnishee;
You are directed to hold, subject to further proceedings, andy property of the judgment debtro in your possession at the time of service of the writ and all property of the judgment debtor that may come into your possession after service of the writ: including any debt owed the judgment notice of right to garnish federal benefits that conforms with 31 f.f.r 212.4 and appendixb to 31 c.f.r part 212 is attached, financial debtor that may come into the garnishee's possession following service of the writ if the account contains a protected amount and 3) to comply with tother applicable requirements, prohibitions, and limitations of 31 c.f.r
you must file an answer to the court within 30 days of service of the writ to both the plaintiff/creditor and defendant/debtor. failure to do so may result in a judgment by default being entered against you. the judgment debtor has the right to contest this garnishment by filing a motion

I suggest you file your response as indicated in the letter and make the best argument you can for why the garnishment should be denied.
You won't be able to hide the money you withdrew. You will only make it harder for them to get it... but not impossible.
If you truly owe the debt consider agreeing and adhering to a payment plan instead of garnishment. However, you wouldnot be facing garnishment if you were willing to pay.

Agree that you need to file an answer & with any "defense" that you might have against the garnishment. They will get a default judgment otherwise.

If there is money that is actually owed, the creditor really deserves payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back