Garnishment...Cannot make more than...

• Thread Starter helpplease387945
  • Start date
H

helpplease387945

Jurisdiction
Florida
I am about to have my wages garnished. I received an exemption form stating that if I am head of household and net less than $500 a week they cannot garnish my pay. When I look online I see that the number is $750 a week. It used to be $500 up until 2010 I believe. Can anyone verify this information?

I received an exemption form stating that if I am head of household and net less than $500 a week they cannot garnish my pay. When I look online I see that the number is $750 a week.

Yes, it's $750 but the notice doesn't say what you said it says, at least it shouldn't. Take another look.

It's "head of the family" not "head of the household" and you qualify for the exemption from garnishment if you:

"provide more than one-half of the support for a child or other dependent and have net earnings of $750 or less per week."

See 77.041:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

"Net earnings" are what you have left after deductions for state and federal income tax, FICA, and Medicare.

The exemption doesn't apply to you if you are not providing more than one-half of the support for a child or other dependent.

Yes, it's $750 but the notice doesn't say what you said it says, at least it shouldn't. Take another look.

It's "head of the family" not "head of the household" and you qualify for the exemption from garnishment if you:

"provide more than one-half of the support for a child or other dependent and have net earnings of $750 or less per week."

See 77.041:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

"Net earnings" are what you have left after deductions for state and federal income tax, FICA, and Medicare.

The exemption doesn't apply to you if you are not providing more than one-half of the support for a child or other dependent.

Original poster here! Thanks for your reply. You're correct...it does say head of family, my mistake. I do provide more than half of the support of my daughter. I am just confused as to why the exemption states I have to net less than $500 a week and not $750.

Per google search was changed to $750.00 2010. Do you maybe have old form - was $500.00 before change.

Original poster here! Thanks for your reply. You're correct...it does say head of family, my mistake. I do provide more than half of the support of my daughter. I am just confused as to why the exemption states I have to net less than $500 a week and not $750.

Here's a more current form that shows the $750. It's from Miami-Dade.

http://www.miami-dadeclerk.com/library/Civil/862-Web.pdf

Try your local court's website for an updated form or just cross out the $500 wherever it appears and write in $750 or just re-create the form on your computer's word processor.

Back