Garnished Federal Tax Return (2003)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidwarren

Entered USAF Reserves on 3 year Health Professions Scholarship Program (1987).
Answered "Yes" to question, "Are you a homosexual?" on a routine Class 3 Physical Exam (Dec 1992) in preparation to begin minimum of three years of active duty service to repay my Health Professions Scholarship.Upon completing the Class 3 Physical Exam, was informed by Chief MD at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, NY that I was disqualified from serving on two accounts- 1. Back surgery (partial discectomy) in 5/90; and 2. Homosexuality.Jan 1993- Informed that my file was inactive while my case underwent review. USAF discussed discharge and recoupment of scholarship funding, despite my willingness to serve my active duty time. No alternatives (transfer to another branch of the service, e.g. US Health Service was offered, although this option was clearly described in my contract.) From this date forward, I corresponded with the USAF via my chosen legal advisor Dr. Franklin Kameny. Our argument was that they must make a decision about my ability to serve my active duty committment prior to discussing/considering recoupment of scholarship funding.
March 1995- Received Honorable Discharge. Immediately after I was presented with a bill for approx $40,000.00 to be paid in full or arrange installment payments which would include approx 5% interest. Two appeals of USAF decision to pursue recoupment of scholarship funding was slow. They refused both appeals, last decision returned approximately 2002. May 2004- Received letter from the US Internal Revenue Service informing me that my Federal Tax Return was garnished by USAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back