Garnish wages

Jasonm0192

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I'm in a confusing and complicated situation. Me and my mom moved into a rental home when I was about 13 years old, so I was under age to legally sign anything. I've lived there with my mom until October of 2018. The entire time of living there, not one time did I ever sign any kind of agreement with the landlord stating I owed or needed to pay or money. My mom was the original lease holder and then apparently the landlord said it's now a month by month lease. There was a few times my mom was late on rent and the landlord added on extra late fees which my mom was unable to pay due to being on a fixed disability income. Well just recently the landlord went to my mom telling her she was going to garnish my wages because I failed to pay her the back late fees. She said when I became 18 years old I was considered an occupant which meant I was also responsible for paying the rent. Can she legally do this?

Yes, your landlord can legally make up whatever nonsense she wants, but doing so won't make her right, and what you've summarized her as saying isn't correct. I hope it goes without saying that you'd be well-advised to move as soon as is practical.

She can't garnish your wages unless she receives a judgment against you. She can't receive a judgment against you because (as was pointed out above), you aren't responsible for the rent.

Back