1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Garnish wages

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by Jasonm0192, May 16, 2019.

1. Jasonm0192

Jasonm0192 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Michigan
    I’m in a confusing and complicated situation. Me and my mom moved into a rental home when I was about 13 years old, so I was under age to legally sign anything. I’ve lived there with my mom until October of 2018. The entire time of living there, not one time did I ever sign any kind of agreement with the landlord stating I owed or needed to pay or money. My mom was the original lease holder and then apparently the landlord said it’s now a month by month lease. There was a few times my mom was late on rent and the landlord added on extra late fees which my mom was unable to pay due to being on a fixed disability income. Well just recently the landlord went to my mom telling her she was going to garnish my wages because I failed to pay her the back late fees. She said when I became 18 years old I was considered an occupant which meant I was also responsible for paying the rent. Can she legally do this?

2. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Yes, your landlord can legally make up whatever nonsense she wants, but doing so won't make her right, and what you've summarized her as saying isn't correct. I hope it goes without saying that you'd be well-advised to move as soon as is practical.

3. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

She can't garnish your wages unless she receives a judgment against you. She can't receive a judgment against you because (as was pointed out above), you aren't responsible for the rent.

Disabled Vet and hrforme like this.