Garnish wages?

Dina

Jurisdiction
New York
My employer recently received a letter from a debt collector asking for information to garnish wages. They say there was a judgement against me in 2009. What can I do to avoid getting my wages garnished?

Judgments in NY are enforceable for 10 years and might even be renewable.

If there really was a judgment there isn't anything you can do to avoid garnishment other than file bankruptcy or quit your job.

You ought to be able to find out about the judgment by checking your credit report or the court records.

What bothers me is this:

My employer recently received a letter from a debt collector asking for information to garnish wages.

A judgment allows a creditor to get a court order of wage garnishment. A creditor with a valid judgment wouldn't have to "ask for information" if he already knows where you work.

Asking for information to garnish wages makes me a little suspicious.

Have you seen the letter? Ask your employer for a copy. If it isn't a court order then he has no obligation to comply with the request.

My employer recently received a letter from a debt collector asking for information to garnish wages. They say there was a judgement against me in 2009. What can I do to avoid getting my wages garnished?

You need to research if such a judgment was ever issued.
Ask your employer for ALL of the information supplied to them.

Generally your employer would need a "writ of garnishment" (court order) to garnish your wages. I would find out what your employer has.

Back