GA Power wants to take out all my trees--including those that pose no threat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nillabeans6

I am sure this has come up, but I cannot find it. I was approached today by a man from GA Power, who'd spent the better part of an hour in my backyard tagging trees. When I asked what he was doing, he informed me that all the trees in my back yard were slated for removal because they somehow pose a threat being in the easement. I live in front of some power lines that back our subdivision. While most of them probably are on the easement, not a one is anywhere near, nor will they be in the next 5-10 years, in danger of touching or being tall enough to fall in any way on these lines. All around us there are literally hundreds of trees actually touching and growing around the lines, but they picked my street and decided that it was somehow troublesome.

I am set to lose "sometime in the next few weeks" several 20 yr mature ornamental trees that are of great value on our property. One is my very favorite cherry tree which is a few feet from the house and fully mature, is definitely NEVER going to pose any kind of threat to any line anywhere , and is WAY back away from the power lines. Of all of them, this would be the one I am most upset about.

Unfortunately, my husband was cut in the lay-offs last November, and we have no savings or any assets besides the house itself, with our only income for the 2 of us and our 6 children being unemployment, so just hiring a surveyor or real estate attorney to help us answer questions is impossible. We are struggling just to keep the house! I know GA Power is huge, and we've been told by anyone we've asked so far that we don't have a chance just because it's them, but they are being extremely aggressive, and using no common sense whatsoever! I am not even sure this tree is definitely on the easement to begin with, or whether the original agreement with the developer 20 yrs ago allowed for them to just remove at-will. How can I do anything to stall this for answers? How do I go about getting basic answers? What can I do to appeal this decision to remove without attempting to find a less aggressive means? This will absolutely destroy my property and it's value!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back