G038116 - EXCEED A SAFE SPEED FOR CONDITIONS, LEFT OF CENTER

T

TheRealBigDaddy

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I was in a collision where it was raining and I hydroplaned. As a result I collided into another car. The other car's driver was ok. I am also ok except missing part of my ear now. The ONLY way I knew I had any type of ticket was I looked on our state's highway patrol collision site. The listed infraction was:

G038116 - EXCEED A SAFE SPEED FOR CONDITIONS, LEFT OF CENTER

I was never given a ticket. The accident was on 10/7/2016 and I am just now getting mail from attorney's in the area wanting to represent me. What happens if you never receive a ticket from a police officer? If I would not have looked at the NCHP collision site I would never have known I had a ticket.

Also...since I was hydroplaning what is my best approach for dealing with the court on the above infraction?

Thanks,

Mike

I don't have much time to look but I quick search produced no information on service requirements for traffic tickets in NC.

If I was you I'd call one of the attorneys who sent you a letter to find out where you stand.

It isn't going the speed limit that counts. It's the road and weather conditions that count. You could have been going 35 mph in a 45 mph zone and 35 mph would have been too fast for conditions if you hydroplaned and hit another vehicle.

I'll give you an example. I was driving through Indianapolis during a blizzard at 2 AM on a Christmas weekend. The speed limit was 55 mph. There were only a few cars on the road. Cars that were going 15 mph were sliding off the road and hitting the shoulder. I let my engine torque pull me along at 5 mph and I did not slide off the road. That night 15 mph was too fast for conditions.

It's the results of the speed of your car that count, not the speed limit.

Had you been going slower you would likely not have hydroplaned.

It isn't going the speed limit that counts. It's the road and weather conditions that count. You could have been going 35 mph in a 45 mph zone and 35 mph would have been too fast for conditions if you hydroplaned and hit another vehicle.

I'll give you an example. I was driving through Indianapolis during a blizzard at 2 AM on a Christmas weekend. The speed limit was 55 mph. There were only a few cars on the road. Cars that were going 15 mph were sliding off the road and hitting the shoulder. I let my engine torque pull me along at 5 mph and I did not slide off the road. That night 15 mph was too fast for conditions.

It's the results of the speed of your car that count, not the speed limit.

Had you been going slower you would likely not have hydroplaned.
Fair enough....thanks for your input!

You could also look and see if this area holds water during a rain storm. Which would cause you to wreck.... Proper drainage of the road way is up to the city. Failure to drain the road may be just cause for a lawsuit. food for thought.

Back