frozen account i was on for emergency purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddy1

my mothers account was frozen it was joint for emergency purposes none of the money is mine. what options are available? can they take her money? does she have any recourse? they are threatening a marshal will take the money. Does my mother have any protection? thanks.

You left out alot of details such as why the acct is frozen. It doesnt matter if its for emergency or not if she is part of a civil or criminal investigation, they might freeze all her assets. She needs to see an attorney.

there was a credit card judgement against me so they froze the account because i was on there jointly. the money is not mine they are threatening to take half the money I am trying to negotiate a payoff but I am not sure if there is any room to negotiate. It was not criminal or civil investigation just regular credit card debt. Sorry I am new at this and I am just trying to educate myself . Thanks your comments are appreciated.

They can take it if your name is on it.

You might want to talk to a BK attorney to see what options you have.

First things first, the money isn't gone. They need to make a motion to turnover the funds to actually get the money. What you need to do is get the last 3-4 months of bank statements, and include them in an objection to the court. Explain that none of the funds levied were yours, and offer the records as proof. Any contributions to the account that you can show were not made by you will be released. Do not consent to turn over 1/2... if it's not your money, they can't take it. Also, a credtor is under no obligation to negotiate a post-judgment payoff. If they make turning over 1/2 the account a condition of the payoff (and thus lower the amount you owe) BE SURE TO GET IT IN WRITING! Then, when you make the payoff, demand a payoff letter. This way, if they ever try to collect the remainder of the judgment, you can show the deal you made. Good-luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back