Friend won't return my property

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrm012562

Dear Law.com,
A little over 2 years ago my friend helped me move a leather sofa & loveseat that I had stored in a rented space. I paid approx. $2800 for this furniture when I bought it new. He agreed to let me keep it at his place of business until such time as I had a new place to put it. A few months after it had been there, stacked upon one another, I visited him only to find the loveseat being used in his office.
Every time I tell him that I want to get my things back, he either tries to change the subject, or tells me that he won't be at his shop on the day that I tell him I can be available to come by with a truck.
What can I do to get my property back, or is this a lost cause/friendship?
Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.
Sincerely,
Mike :(

Send him a certified letter that demands a date that you can come pick up the furniture or a check for $2800. If he refuses tell him you are going to file a suit to get him to pay for the furniture. He will relent.

Give him verbal and written notice that you will come to collect your furniture on a certain date and time... during normal business hours. If he is not there or prevents you from taking your property, inform him that you will be filing a suit in small claims- then follow through with it. You will either get your furniture back or he will be ordered to pay you for what you have lost.

Thank you

Thank you for your help. I feel a little better. Too bad my friend is such an idiot. Happy New Year to all.

in another forum, Mightymoose suggested asking for the property back. ask for it without threatening a lawsuit. when he replies, he is indirectly agreeing that he still has your property and is refusing to give to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back