Friend/Tenant leaving without paying after confronted bout non-payment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roar1

I guess I was naive enough and too trustworthy of a friend that was in a bad situation. I was having financial difficulties due to a worker's comp issue and had a friend that was being kick out of his home due to divorce. I thought it was just a short stay of a week when I first made the offer and then as things progressed I discovered he misunderstood and was expecting longer stay. I tried to get a tie frame from him which finally h stated possible a year and a half to two year. I was uncomfortable about it, but honored my misunderstood offer.

It was mutually agreed that I would give him place to stay in exchange for his helping me out with my bills, had also told him I was sorry it couldn't be rent free. His words were this is a partnership, 50/50. It was a verbal agreement. He was well aware of the bills, especially the mortgage which was my main concern and "harping" point.

He has been here for five months and has contributed only $300-$400 to the common household bills. That being only the utilities, electric and a movie program he talked me into getting him through an account I had. He has put nothing forth to the mortgage or cable and didn't offer to provide funds during time that I had been given a credit on my electric and have been set up on a levelized plan where they distribute expected usage over the year which leaves a high unpaid balance till mid to late year.

When I confronted him in Feb. requesting more assistance I was threatened that he was going to move out because I was stressing him about the money. That didn't happen and it was implied that he would try to start paying more and would take over more when my resources neared depletion.

Now the time has arrived for him to make good on his promise to pay the mortgage, which I had requested assistance with all along and I have been informed that he feels uncomfortable here, and has since he has moved in, so he is now looking for another place to live where he will be paying his own rent. Giving me basically only one days notice since I confronted him about it. He was actually going to stay here until he found a place, not letting me know until the day he was leaving so actually giving me less than 24 hours notice. Thus leaving me high and dry.

Now thanks to this and my injuries, that prevent me from working, I'm going to lose my family home that I have lived in my entire life.

He admits what he is doing is wrong and not what he agreed to in one breath, then how could he pay with the income he has in the next. Knowing that he had told me that he was overpaying some of his bills as protection for himself should I just tell him to get out. He stated that he would be willing to pay me $500 if I let him take the new bed I had purchased for him prior to his moving in and towels. If not he will pay nothing. Not even last month's utilities which he is responsible for the use of.

I know I was stupid for doing it, but I was raised to take care of those in need f I could . He is the one that mentioned the benefit of him being able to help me out.

Do I have any legal recourse against him for the non-payment over the last five months?

Sorry for the long rambling, but I thought the more info you had the better.

Thank you for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back