Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion Friend got a car loan. Lost just job. She's avoiding turning the car in.

Tpatzo2015

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
My friend is in Minnesota. She got a car loan. Lost her job stopped paying insurance & stopped paying for the loan. The loan place is calling her mom to have her return the car. She's refusing to return it. The car place don't have her updated address as she's moved. She still lives in Minnesota but like 30 miles away. I don't know if she plans on turning it over or not. She's already on felony probation for a theft of a credit card 1,000. I'm scared they will charge her with theft of the car & I'm sure that's a felony. I am currently in Arizona. I'm going to try to knock some sense into her before she gets into some serious trouble. What are your opinions on this subject. I don't know allot about this subject that's y I'm asking here.

I'm not sure if she's the signer or the co signer. I don't think it matters. Her bf is one of the people that did the signing as well.

It is not theft. You didn't go into enough detail but if she committed fraud in any way that could be a problem, but it doesn't appear to be the case.
The car can be repossessed but she won't go to jail for not paying the loan unless her parole/probation terms address her finances for some reason.
There are no good reasons for her to not return the vehicle. It would be best to return it as soon as possible.

MN Statute 609.62 DEFEATING SECURITY ON PERSONALTY.
Subdivision 1.Definition.
In this section "security interest" means an interest in property which secures payment or other performance of an obligation.
Subdivision 2.Acts constituting.
Whoever, with intent to defraud, does any of the following may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than three years or to payment of a fine of not more than $6,000, or both:
(1) conceals, removes, or transfers any personal property in which the actor knows that another has a security interest; or
(2) being an obligor and knowing the location of the property refuses to disclose the same to an obligee entitled to possession thereof.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.62

She's violating her probation by committing a crime.

She needs to turn in the car or she'll be in prison (on both charges) where she won't need one.

She's violating her probation by committing a crime.

Maybe. We don't know that she has been contacted or what she has been told. According to this it was her mother who was contacted. We also have no time frame of the events.
Without more information it is a major leap to assume possible incarceration.

Well it would have to extend to pretty great lengths to ever even be reported as a criminal matter.
It is far more likely to be resolved with repossession. It may never be on the radar for probation/parole unless they monitor finances, which is unlikely.

My friend is in Minnesota. She got a car loan. Lost her job stopped paying insurance & stopped paying for the loan. The loan place is calling her mom to have her return the car. She's refusing to return it. The car place don't have her updated address as she's moved. She still lives in Minnesota but like 30 miles away. I don't know if she plans on turning it over or not. She's already on felony probation for a theft of a credit card 1,000. I'm scared they will charge her with theft of the car & I'm sure that's a felony. I am currently in Arizona. I'm going to try to knock some sense into her before she gets into some serious trouble. What are your opinions on this subject. I don't know allot about this subject that's y I'm asking here.

I'm not sure if she's the signer or the co signer. I don't think it matters. Her bf is one of the people that did the signing as well.

You can't do anything. You can't "knock" sense into her either. Best to just step away from this clusterf* and let her wear her big girl pants.

Back