freind wrecks snowmobile no doesnt want to pay for damages

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom01mxz800

heres the story in michigan a freind of mine wanted to ride my snowmobile on the lake we were on this past weekend. the snow conditions were very low which is what cools the engines in these machines. i told him he could only ride it for 2 minutes and he would have to let it cool down or it would blow the motor and over heat.
almost 1 hr later he returns with the snowmobile overheating smoking from coolant coming from everywhere under the hood he blew the engine up over heated the crank and cracked one of the cylinders
the damages to fix what he did are estimated at 2000 dollars
i can get a remanufactured engine for 1500 dollars plus a 300 core charge in which will be waved

he swore up and down before he left on the snowmobile he would pay to fix it if he screwed anything up and when he returned he said he would fix whatever he damaged

now when he realized how much he did to the machine he is telling me to get bent

do i have a case worth pursuing or what through the small claims system
i was going to offer him to pay for 1000 of the damages and i would cover the rest since it is a lot to fix but i just fixed this motor 3 months ago and put 1500 into it myself i cannot afford to do this again and everyone agrees that was there that i should pay 0 and he was at fault

Sue the bad person in small claims court.

The small claims court judge will tell you if you have a case.
what iam concerned about is weather or not its worth my time to go there to have it thrown out of court

do they have pre hearings or is it cut and dry go there plead the case and what not
i was under the assumtion that when you borrow someones belongings that its your responsability to return them in the condition in which you borrowed them and or pay to have them brought back to their original condition
in this case were talking upwards of 2000 dollars here
if it was 500 i would wirte it off as a lesson learned

Does your former friend have $2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back