Fraud application now tenant files chapter 7

L

LMcB

Jurisdiction
Michigan
My former tenant filled out my application with fraudulent information. It was a complex planned action. She listed two incomes. Both legit companies and contact info. She had a friend of a iend of the iwner of one give a fake job verification and payroll pront out. The other job was legit but didnt come close to qualifying for my unit. Credit report provided by her realestate agent. Correct former address but a relatives number to give a fake recommendation. The registered realestate agent (her friend)claimed to have taken money from the tenant leaving her conviently short at move in. She arrived with crying. I allowed her to pay the shortage in two weeks. She got the keys and I never received another penny and no contact from her since. When I got my judgment for possesion prior she filed chapter 7 which confused by current eviction attorney. I had to hire a second attorney to complete the eviction. she was removed but not till her tab was $4500. She dies have a second unreported income on her bankruptcy filing from her private bussines that her bankruptcy attorney turned into an LLC. Im being told its not worth pursueing? What do you think?

Im being told its not worth pursueing? What do you think?

I agree. It's not worth pursuing. Any debt to you will be discharged in bankruptcy.

You got scammed.

I allowed her to pay the shortage in two weeks.

That should have been a red flag right there.

I had rentals for twenty years and learned at the getgo that you never hand over the keys until the tenant has paid the first month's rent and security deposit in full.

If they can't you send them down the road.

I've been burned by tenants a few times but never for that.

If you want this not to happen again you need to develop a heart of stone when it comes to tenants and not buy into any sob stories or they'll walk all over you.

Back