Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion Fourth Degree Arson

J

Jf256745

Jurisdiction
Colorado
My question involves criminal law for the state of: Colorado

I am a freshman at CU Boulder and one day in the laundry room I was playing around with a lighter and just to pass time was lighting a sock with it. A few weeks ago, I got a call from Boulder police where they told me that they had a video of me doing so and that I caused some damage to one of the washing machines. I was charged with 4th degree arson and later criminal mischief, however I feel like these charges do not really make sense. I did not intentionally cause any damage or even know that what I was doing could have caused damage I was just messing around, and the damage to the washing machine is only about a 5 square inch mark on the outside of the machine which still works completely fine. How serious of a situation could this turn out to be, and how should I proceed with my defense?

Thank you

Fourth degree arson Colorado: Fourth Degree Arson in Colorado

"A person who knowingly or recklessly starts or maintains a fire or causes an explosion, on his own property or that of another, and by so doing places another in danger of death or serious bodily injury or places any building or occupied structure of another in danger of damage commits fourth degree arson."

Criminal mischief Colorado: Criminal Mischief Misdemeanor and Felony Criminal Mischief Law in Colorado

"A person who knowingly damages the real or personal property of one or more other persons, including property owned by the person jointly with another person or property owned by the person in which another person has a possessory or proprietary interest, in the course of a single criminal episode commits a class 2 misdemeanor where the aggregate damage to the real or personal property is less than five hundred dollars."

You KNOWINGLY caused damage. It doesn't say intentionally. It says knowingly or recklessly. Why would you think it's a good idea to set a sock on fire in a laundry room? When I'm bored, I go read a book or take a walk. I don't get all pyro. I think you should seek therapy for the pyro tendencies you seem to possess.

Read the links. That explains the possible punishments. Stop setting fires.

I feel like these charges do not really make sense.

They make sense to the authorities (and to me, by the way).

I did not intentionally cause any damage or even know that what I was doing could have caused damage I was just messing around,

That's what the word "recklessly" means.

How serious of a situation could this turn out to be

Very serious. You'll have a criminal record that will follow you around for the rest of your life.

how should I proceed with my defense?

You keep your mouth shut and hire a criminal defense attorney.

Back