Former tenant left behind property

Status
Not open for further replies.

teresap

In November 2006, my husband and I rented a room to a friend of ours who was in foreclosure. He moved all of his furniture into the garage and miscellaneous personal items in our basement storage. We gave him six months letting him know that he had to move out by the end of April 2007. Due to personal reasons, he chose to leave the state, fairly quickly, at the beginning of April '07. We told him that he had to have his stuff out by the end of April. The last 10 days he was in town, instead of working to get a Uhaul truck and move his stuff, he chose to sit on our couch and watch tv. He said he would be back by the end of April. He never called us and my husband had to call him repeatedly. We finally reached him and he and my husband agreed that we would sell his furniture in the garage, with proceeds going to his pregnant ex-girlfriend. We would keep his personal items in the basement until end of May. It is now 2 weeks into June and he's finally decided to return our calls. My husband has given him until this weekend to remove his items. He's asked us if we would put them in storage, but we have no reason to trust that he will send us any money for transport or storage. We have not asked him to pay storage fees for keeping his stuff for 2 1/2 months.
My concern is that we're setting up ourselves up for a lawsuit. We have all of his belongings. He took one suitcase with him when he left. He has left us with all of his clothes as well as all of his very expensive electronics, as well as his extensive movie and music collection. What are our rights? I'm afraid that we've shot ourselves in the foot by not seeking legal counsel sooner. We have very little documentation aside from our phone records trying to contact him as well as a few emails. Please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back