Former roommate used alleged video of me stealing to get me to vacate apt, then kept my property

JD Real

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
I was unsure which heading this belongs under, given the various legal issues involved, so if I've posted in the wrong place I apologize.

Several months ago (Dec of '14), I moved into a room for rent that I'd found on craigslist. It was a month-to-month arrangement with two other tenants, one of whom (let's call him "Sam") being the lessee from the property owner. I have a bad rental history, and other legal issues as well, stemming from past substance abuse. In fact, at the time, I was about halfway through a 6 month Deferred Prosecution Agreement for a Receiving Stolen Property charge from last summer. That case was my wake-up call, and after 3 months of inpatient treatment, my support system (counselors, family, etc) felt I was ready to work & live in a regular apartment again- albeit with court supervision. Needless to say, finding a place I could afford that would have me wasn't easy, so finding this room seemed like a godsend.

All went well through the spring: I successfully completed my DPA; paid the rent; worked full-time; stayed clean and stayed out of trouble. Then, over the last few months, Sam's behavior became increasingly erratic. The original other roommate moved out, and Sam -who is a teacher- was totally unoccupied for the summer. Where before he had a regular schedule, now he was up all night drinking & smoking pot every day. I'd never really bonded with him anyway, so I just kept to my small room pretty much whenever I was home. When I did see Sam, he started drawing me into bizarre conversations about what race my friends are, politics, and generally uncomfortable territory. My immediate reaction was to avoid him as much as possible, but then I felt bad- like he was lonely and filling the void with getting wasted. I tried hanging out with him a bit, but the drinking & pot only increased, and I can't be around that. I was trying to be nice, remembering how I'd felt in the past, but couldn't maintain it more than a few weeks. On several occasions he'd need small amounts of money, which I lent him, and when I asked him to return it he'd drunkenly tell me to get his wallet from his room. He also had me get money from the wallet to pay for things like pizza delivery when he couldn't stand up to answer the door. None of that seemed like a big deal at the time. Mostly I just felt sorry for him.

After about a month of that, I stopped coming out of my room and went back to isolating myself from his behavior. He didn't take that well. He became more and more belligerent whenever we crossed paths as I'd come home, leave, use the bathroom, etc. He began threatening to call the police whenever he saw a black person pick me up or drop me off (yes, he literally specified that as the reason for his concern) & accusing me of stealing from him. I told him what I thought of his racist BS in no uncertain terms, and because I hadn't done anything wrong I took all of it as no more than drunken ravings. My family wanted me to look for another place at that point, and I should've listened.

Getting now to the legal part: Immediately after I gave him the July rent, Sam said I had to leave. When I asked why, he said he knew I was stealing and had video of me doing so. He said he'd call the police if wasn't out in three weeks. At first I was incredulous, and then my mind went to all the times he'd had me get money from his room, etc. My next thoughts were of my not-too-distant history, and who I'd believe if I were the cops. I wasn't even on the lease, after all. I got very scared, and just agreed to what he wanted.

About ten days later, he pushed my "eviction" date ahead still further, giving me only a few days to be out. He said he'd generously allow me to keep my things in the basement, but I had to be out. Again, I opted to placate him, as I was terrified of having all my hard work destroyed with an arrest, guilty or not. When the day came, I had all my things packed and in the basement, and he demanded my keys. I'd researched the WI landlord tenant laws, and knew that if I left and gave back keys, the last of my standing there was gone. Hence, before doing so, I had him sign a written statement that I had his permission to keep my things there through August 1st and that he'd provide me with reasonable access to them. He signed it, and I started living at a nearby motel.

With my parents consigning, I was thankfully able to get my own lease beginning August 1st. On that day (and having confirmed that he'd be home to let me in) I came to get my things. On the 2nd trip, I noticed that my bag of power tools felt light. I opened it and found two drills and their charger missing. Sam was in the room, and seeing what I was doing, calmly informed me that he'd decided to keep those things for himself as payment for what I'd stolen from him. We argued briefly before I once again decided it just wasn't worth it. Finally, after packing the last of my things into my aunt's car, I asked him to unlock the garage so I could get my bike. He then informed me that he'd also decided to keep my bike as payment.

At that point, I pulled out my phone and started recording. I asked him very directly if he was going to return my property, and he clearly, on video, said no, that he was keeping my bike and drills as payment for what I'd stolen. I told him that this wasn't legal, and he said I could call the police. I really need my bike, but the thought of being taken away in handcuffs -even if later exonerated- in front of my aunt who'd driven two hours to help me move was too much. So I told him that even if he truly believes I stole from him, what he was doing was also theft, and left.

That's where it stands now. I haven't heard anything from him, and despite my overwhelming anger, I haven't taken matters into my own hands. If necessary, I'll just move on with my life and put the SOB in my rearview; it's just stuff, after all. But I'm truly outraged that he can get away with all this.

Do I have any recourse legally that won't put my whole new and decent life in jeopardy? I've learned exactly how & why blackmail works, and I'll never expose myself so foolishly again, but do I really have to just let him get away with it? And what if he decides somewhere down the line to send cops after me anyway? Will whatever cell or webcam video he might have of me put me behind bars? And what about my video, wherein he clearly admits to taking the law (and my bike) into his own hands? I'd really appreciate any guidance. Thank you very much for your time; I know this was a lengthy narrative.

Waayyyyy too many unnecessary details. You will get more responses if you get this down to no more than a paragraph.

If you want us to predict what an unstable person might accuse you of or how the police will react to an unknown allegation, you are asking to much. We have no idea if he even has video or what is on it. If you want your stuff back, either file a police report for it being stolen or sue him for the value in small claims court. No one can promise he will not retaliate in any way and if he does, what he might do.

Having friends as roommates often doesn't turn out well. Having complete strangers as roommates NEVER turns out well. Chalk it up to experience and stay away from this person.

Let it go. It's far too messy to cause anything more than greater harm. You lost some stuff. So what? You can get more stuff if you're living in the free world.

The greater lesson here is, adults don't do roommates well.
A wife or a husband is a kinda roommate. Marriages fail at a rate of 50%. Get your own place, even if its just a hotel room. Don't get caught in the roommate trap again.

Back