Corporate Law Former Employer's Attorneys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ContractManager

I left my former employer 2 months ago and started at a different company. My former employer is involved in a contract dispute with a federal customer. Because I managed the contract, I am the one most knowledgeable about the problems they're having. (The problems have to do with the structure of the contract, not anything I have done wrong).

Bottom line -- Should I meet with my former employer's lawyers? I feel like the key to the dispute is very clear and I documented my interpretation on various occasions while I was employed there. They have all of the documents and say that they contain the clearest explanations.

What are the risks to me personally in meeting with the lawyers? Should I meet with them this one last time and go through the explanation yet again? Or, should I tell them that I don't think it would be a good idea to meet? What specific reason can I give them for not wanting to meet?

Thank you for any help. I'm really torn over this issue.

They can subpoena you if you don't voluntarily do it. To show that you have taken the professional high road, meet with the attorneys to answer any remaining questions they might have and state during the meeting that you would like to make the meeting your last one due to your busy schedule and demands of your new company. Good Luck!

Thank you for the input. I fear this issue going to trial and my former employer's lawyers finding me to be a strong witness and subpoenaing me to testify. Can they do that? What if it ruins my current employment?

The answer is yes. Try to answer all the questions during the next meeting to prevent this from dragging into trial. As far as your current employment, explain to your employer what is the current situation so they are aware that you may have to go to court to testify. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back