Former employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sistersister

i worked for a retail store for approximately five years as a head bookkeeper. I took another job after those five years because of employer's constant verbal abuse, which wasn't isolated, but happened to all employees.

Other than that, I did leave on good terms, had a going away party, etc. Followed all proper procedures for resignation, etc.

Now (3 months after my resignation) former employer is slandering me around town (very small town word of mouth community), saying i was fired for embezzlement and mismanagement of funds. To compound the problem, the employer is supervised by local government in town. Strange situation, supervised but is not required to follow the same policy and procedure. I have three community members who are willing to sign sworn affidavits of what was said by him, and will stand beside me if it should become a court issue.

I have had to inform my current employer of these malicious rumours so that they would hear it from me, not anyone else. i have an appointment in approximateely a week to go to my employers' supervising authority to report these rumors and to hopefully file a grievance against this employee for false accusations. i am requesting a public apology in local news media, specifically addressing the issue of embezzlement.

if i do not get relief through supervising authority, what would be my next step, to go through court?

Also, can he be disciplined because of these allegations? Must i release my community members' names that are willing to do sworn affidavits, as I would not put it past him to put the screws on them if he had that information.

Thanks for any help you might give.

Unless the defamer admits to the defamation, you would likely need to reveal your sources for the information. You will likely want to have some proof of the statements in some manner, or at least names of people that will back you up. You may not want to expose their names to the supervising authority unless you have a guarantee of what they will do and you may wish to hold off from providing the names until you hear a remedy. If the supervisor will not take your position then it could make your case potentially more difficult if they have some leverage on your witnesses. I would get sworn affidavits from your witnesses prior to this meeting and get them done as soon as possible.

In any event, I would always document what was represented in a written letter/fax to ensure that the meeting and issues are documented. Slander cases are almost always the most difficult to deal with as the proof comes down to witnesses rather than solid evidence. Court can be a costly and difficult exercise.

Originally posted by sistersister
i worked for a retail store for approximately five years as a head bookkeeper. I took another job after those five years because of employer's constant verbal abuse, which wasn't isolated, but happened to all employees.

Other than that, I did leave on good terms, had a going away party, etc. Followed all proper procedures for resignation, etc.

Now (3 months after my resignation) former employer is slandering me around town (very small town word of mouth community), saying i was fired for embezzlement and mismanagement of funds. To compound the problem, the employer is supervised by local government in town. Strange situation, supervised but is not required to follow the same policy and procedure. I have three community members who are willing to sign sworn affidavits of what was said by him, and will stand beside me if it should become a court issue.

I have had to inform my current employer of these malicious rumours so that they would hear it from me, not anyone else. i have an appointment in approximateely a week to go to my employers' supervising authority to report these rumors and to hopefully file a grievance against this employee for false accusations. i am requesting a public apology in local news media, specifically addressing the issue of embezzlement.

if i do not get relief through supervising authority, what would be my next step, to go through court?

Also, can he be disciplined because of these allegations? Must i release my community members' names that are willing to do sworn affidavits, as I would not put it past him to put the screws on them if he had that information.

Thanks for any help you might give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back