Forgery

Lawrence cook

Jurisdiction
Florida
My mom purchased a truck 3 years ago from the Chevrolet dealership.i was encarcerated at the time of purchase then she died not long after she bought it.some how my name is on the title with a signature which is not my. I was in rehab when the contract was signed and can prove it.they recently repossess the vehicle and are after me for the money isn't that illegal for the dealership to let her sign my name and can I use them for the money that the finance company is saying I owe them

My mom purchased a truck 3 years ago from the Chevrolet dealership.i was encarcerated at the time of purchase then she died not long after she bought it.some how my name is on the title with a signature which is not my. I was in rehab when the contract was signed and can prove it.they recently repossess the vehicle and are after me for the money isn't that illegal for the dealership to let her sign my name and can I use them for the money that the finance company is saying I owe them

My sincerest condolences on the passing of your mother.

This should be easy to repair, BUT it will take effort on your part.

You won't get help from the dealer.

You must reach out to the lender, tell your story, offer to send proof of your incarceration, and ask the lender to help you rectify the problem.

This will require you to write letters, send those letters via priority mail, make sure you retain the proof of mailing and delivery.

Make copies of the documents which will prove you were a guest of a penal colony, and stay on top of this.

Telephone calls won't solve it.

Calls will help start the process, but won't help you prove anything.

some how my name is on the title with a signature which is not my. I was in rehab when the contract was signed and can prove it.

You wrote that your name is "on the title with a signature that is not my [sic]." However, auto titles don't typically have signatures on them. The next sentence seems to imply that someone forged your name on some contract. Is that what you're saying? If so, what contract are you talking about? When did you discover that someone had forged your name?

they recently repossess the vehicle and are after me for the money isn't that illegal for the dealership to let her sign my name

Who are "they"? The lender, I assume. When did the repossession happen?

As far as your question, no one "let her sign [your] name." If your mother forged your name, that's on her, not the dealer or the lender.

can I use them for the money that the finance company is saying I owe them

I don't know what "them" refers to or what "can I use them" might mean. What you need to know is notify all concerned that your signature was forged. You probably also need to report the forgery to the police and obtain a copy of the police report.

Back