1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Forged End date on a lease paper I never signed

Discussion in 'Security Deposits' started by Josh B, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Josh B

Josh B Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Florida
    I recently moved out of my old apartment. I did leave a month before said lease was suppose to be which the original lease states it is a 12 month lease. The thing is the original lease does not have a end date. He pretended to be sending me my security deposit. Once he forward the invoice, it was $500 less than my full security deposit. Then with he had a new lease paper that had now been forged with a ending date that he now also circled. The forged document doesn’t have our signatures on it. I want to know if he still has a right to withhold the rest of my security deposit even after not having a original date on the lease and now committed forgery.

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

If the document doesn't have signatures, then it's not a forgery. If the original lease said it was for 12 months, then it doesn't need an "end date", because it's a 12 month lease.

3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

These two statements seem to be in conflict. If it's got a start date and states that it's a 12 month lease, then any third grader can figure out when the end date is.

If there are no signatures, then it cannot be forged.

The landlord may withhold from a security deposit for unpaid rent. You admitted "moved out of [the] apartment . . . a month before said lease was suppose to" expire. Unless you paid rent for that last month, the landlord was entitled to withhold from the deposit for that.