Following Too Close Ticket After Accident - No Damage, No Injuries

L

LadyQuietbottom

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I'm fighting a Following Too Closely Ticket. My 18 year-old daughter's foot slipped off the brake at an intersection and she barely tapped the vehicle in front of her. There was no damage and no loss of any kind. No insurance claims filed. No injuries.

My position is: No victim. No crime.

I'm looking for a defense aside from no victim, no crime, just to back myself up. On the traffic ticket, the officer listed the witness as " Z-2 Digital NCIC." Does that mean that the witness is a traffic camera? Because I'm certain that no camera faces that side of the intersection where the accident occurred. I think this could be false information on the ticket, which would call the entire ticket into question.

I'm also hoping that the officer doesn't show up for court, but if he does, the fact that he did not witness that accident could be in our favor too, right? If he doesn't show up to court, shouldn't the ticket be automatically dismissed?

I don't think it is fair or Constitutional to have to pay for a crime or offense where there was no victim. In addition, to have 3 points assessed on my daughter's license, and to have our insurance rates go up, for a victimless offense is outrageous. I don't think that it was justifiable to write a ticket in the first place. My daughter was 18 at the time, and she's still in high school. She was not driving recklessly. She has had no tickets or accidents in the past.

Please help. Thank you!

Unless you possess a law license, your 18 year daughter must defend herself, or hire a licensed lawyer.

If its possible for her to take an online traffic school, even hiring a lawyer is a waste of time and money.

Some jurisdictions allow DEFERRED ADJUDICATIONS OR DISPOSITIONS.

She can Ask the court clerk if such is possible.

My daughter is 20 in her 2nd year of college. She was home a few months ago. It was a rainy day and there was a chain reaction wreck in front of her. One car plowed into the rear of a jeep. Then the car behind that car hit it. Then the car behind that car hit it. Then my daughter hit that car.... She didn't hit the car hard and there was no damage. You know what i told her? Now you know how fast something can happen. So allow more space between you and the car in front of you. Your daughter was following to close..... If not, she would of had time to react. Brake.... (slowly down), foot slips ( car doesn't speed up), Reapply brakes HARD ( car stops). Where there skid marks on the roadway from your daughter hitting the brakes? People are responsible for their car....... 9-10 times you rear end someone its your fault. Maybe the camera they are talking about was in the intersection prior when it showed she was riding the car bumper. Maybe a sidewalk camera....

I don't think it is fair or Constitutional to have to pay for a crime or offense where there was no victim.

Then you have absolutely no clue as to how traffic laws and citations work.

She was following too closely. Period.

She got a ticket for it. Period.

That she tapped the vehicle in front of her is the evidence. Period.

Have her take traffic school if she is eligible. That keeps the ticket off her record and away from the insurance company.

I don't think that it was justifiable to write a ticket in the first place.

Nonsense.

She was certainly careless while driving - at the very least.

Think about it - she struck another vehicle from behind - you think that's okay?? You enabling her poor driving habits will likely lead to more of the same behavior. The next time she may not be so lucky damage and injury wise.

As you have already been told - you have no legal standing in this case. Your daughter is a licensed driver and an adult - she will have to deal with this herself in court or hire licensed legal counsel to do so.

So yesterday I was leaving my apartment and pulled onto the main road. Slow down for the light and my foot slipped off the brake. Guess what? I didn't hit the truck in front of me because...I wasn't following too closely!!!

Back