Followed after photographing Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm a photojournalism student, and recently began photographing police any time I see them engaged in a traffic stop. Tonight, I photographed two officers in two squad cars engaged in searching a man's vehicle. I said nothing when the male officer said a few words to me to "not obstruct the investigation" and stood on the sidewalk while the scene took place. As they were leaving, I began to walk to my car.
The route I took is kind of important, so i'll go over it. I parked in an apartment building parking lot across the street and to the east of the scene. In order to avoid Jaywalking on this busy road, I walked to the intersection to the west to cross the street. While heading back east to my vehicle, the female officer pulled into the 7-11 as I was walking by it and slowly crept by. I kept waking, and when the male officer passed me, he flashed his searchlight into my eyes and camera. I continued, and as I crossed the parking lot of the target (the only building between the 7-11 and the apartment complex in which my vehicle was parked), the female officer was puling out of the lot (which does not connect to the 7-11 lot and required her to get on the other street and back into this set of lots). I pass in front of her as she waits for traffic. She passes me on the street, and turns into the lot just after the one i'm walking to, presumably to wait until I pass her again. I turn into this lot and begin to take a few things out of my car (i'm walking the short distance to my house at this point because I do not want to be followed by a fascist pig the whole time). She pulls up and takes a photo of e and runs my plates.
I have a few questions about this incident.
Was it legal for the male officer to flash his searchlight at me as I was walking home after the incident?
I understand parked cars may have their information ran if it is in plain view from a place which they are allowed to be. My plates were not visible from the road, only from within the complex. Is this apartment complex (in which I live) considered a place she is allowed to be without permission or consent?
Was I being followed, stalked, profiled or harassed by the female police officer while walking to my car?
Do I have a valid complaint/possible lawsuit for any of these actions committed by the officers?
What would you recommend I do differently next time (there will be a next time, I will not stop photographing the police.)
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

You play with fire, you could get burned.
Starting confrontational situations on street corners could become uncomfortable.
I'd worry less about legalities and invoke COMMON SENSE.
Strange, disturbing, troubling things occur on the streets of most US cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back