Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Florida Statute Of Limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLPD

Could someone please tell me anything about the statute of limitations? My friend was on probation (and house arrest) there and was violated because a friend of his had broken into someone's house and brought the stolen items to his house. He had made tem leave but other people wrote a statment saying that they saw the stuff there and the detectives told him he would be arrested soon bacause that was a violation. He didn't want to go to jail for something he didn't do so he left his home which violated him from his house arrest. :( Is there a limit of time for him to stay gone or will his warrent be out forever??? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The statute of limitations is a period of time for which one can bring suit in a court of law. It is instituted because valid claims should not go stale with the passage of time -- memory fades, witnesses become available and the "quality" of the case deteriorates. A defendant should also not be subject to suit many years later if it wasn't of such importance in the first instance and evidence may be limited. It prompts one with a suit to sue in a reasonably expeditious period of time.

The statute of limitations would not apply in the instance that you are talking. Your friends story is a little odd and he would do best trying to explain this and come clean right from the beginning. If stolen property was brought, why didn't he call the police and state that someone had brought these items over? Unfortunately, these are obviously no friends of his.

BLPD said:
Could someone please tell me anything about the statute of limitations? My friend was on probation (and house arrest) there and was violated because a friend of his had broken into someone's house and brought the stolen items to his house. He had made tem leave but other people wrote a statment saying that they saw the stuff there and the detectives told him he would be arrested soon bacause that was a violation. He didn't want to go to jail for something he didn't do so he left his home which violated him from his house arrest. :( Is there a limit of time for him to stay gone or will his warrent be out forever??? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back