Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Florida Adjudication Withheld question please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

rome

Hi everyone! the year was 1999 I was living in New Port Richey, FL at the time working at K-mart going to college and decided to go into the Army so I was about to leave for the military in two months. One night I was at work my friends asked me to go out after work so about ten minutes before closing they showed up while there we were playing around and decide to take some things It was theft in its truest form. I was video taped and the next day at work i was told to leave only to be met by police in the parking lot. I was charged with theft over 300 dollars two of my friends took video games I didn't even know but would not turn them in anyway not important. I was charged and let go on R and R. it was first time I have ever did anything in my life and the last so far and hopefully ever. I told my recruiter he was pissed didn't want to hear it told me to take care of it or I could not go in the army. i was given a public defender I don't really remember everything but i do know that my plea was changed from not guilty to guilty as i can read on the record and the judge told me if I complete my service and don't do anything wrong that the file would not hamper my future. we'll fast forward to 2005 I leave Afghanistan and my to my home base after being stop loss for a year i received high commendations and honorable discharge. i come back to Tampa area to go to college again now it's 2010 I am married I have worked at a grocery store all while in school I am almost finished with my degree so I try to get a job in my field I try three times but no job at first they seem interested then all of a sudden nothing I get no responses back so the third time i finally find out what is happening In my background check i Have a felony theft charge. I am a 31 year old male newly married male with two degrees who can't get a job better than a grocery clerk because he made one mistake. I read my file on public record now It says Adjudication withheld.
So my question lies in should I go to the courthouse and show the judge my DD214 Honorable Discharge and hope he remembers me or what do I do I can't make it on what i make now with school loans being due soon I am starting to get really scared thank you to anyone with advice for taking your time reading this and answering adjudications withheld my question.

Signed ,
the next combat Vet on the side of the road asking for food.

Last edited:
Well its great that you think so but in the eyes of the past three employers I have applied with they feel otherwise matter of fact i was putting a application for a company and they even asked this------------------>>>>>>

have you ever been convicted, plead guilty or had ADJUDICATION WITHHELD of a crime to include felony drivings convictions.

That is word for word on the application!

And for this not being a conviction it sure feels like one I may vote, carry a weapon but every job I have put in for

Part time census job took test scored 98% they told me I was shoe in because of military service. week later receive letter saying due to a finding during your background check we need more information for you a court document and a explanation.

Local cable company offered me close to fifty thousand a year then background check recieved then they don't even answer my calls.

and the job above so like i said for this not being a conviction I sure feel like everyone else thinks it is.

So my concern is obvious what do I need to do go to the judge with my DD214 or what does anyone have any suggestions?

Also wondering why these post has been viewed 42 times but only one reply I really need some advice me and my wife are just getting by as it is and If i can get rid of this burden i could really get some where .

No matter what the disposition of a case there is a record the only way to avoid that is have record expunged. The Military uses caution so they ask question not normally asked. Most job applications only ask about convictions. Perhaps you cna try another branch of Military or talk to your recruiter how to get around this since its not a conviction.

Your topic might have been viewed by same member more than once, a member who was just curious or any number of reasons. the view count doesnt mean much. the site is manned by volunteers who give their own time to answer questions. This is Sunday so members might be busy with their own lives at the moment

Again, you really need to have your record expunged or you may continue to have these problems. It's hard these days economically and difficult to compete in the first place, employers are more scared than ever to take risks on new hires, not to mention the police state that we're turning into. Stop being frustrated and get your record expunged, it's your only answer. In the meantime, keep looking.

Also know that this is happening to so many people, including myself, and is such a hurtful thing to experience that folks don't even want it revisited. You can get through it by using the free legal services available in your community. Don't be shy, get busy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back