Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft First time petit larceny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt001

I had just been arrested over the weekend with a petit larceny, in violation of section 155.25 in upstate new york. This is my first time ever being arrested and not knowing very much I plead guilty to the police. The total value of what i took was around 4$. I had been out drinking and decided it would be a "good" idea to take something from the gas station. My court date is in two weeks and i am really really nervous about what is going to happen because I am here as a student from canada. Since it is my first offence and i only stole about 4$ i am just wondering what kind of consequnces I am looking at. Information of any kind would be great. Thanks.

You need a Lawyer! A theft conviction can effect your stay here. Find a lawyer who knows both immigration and criminal law. Ask your Lawyer if Diversion is av available in your case as well. You can also visit the website in my signature line as you can find help there as well

I currently do not have a lawyer and I would not be able to afford to pay for one either. Should I go to the court house as soon as possible to try and get a public defender, or do I request that at my court date?

Sorry I am just full of questions because I am very nervous about all of this. I am just wondering if raising the issue to the judge of myself taking a theft class would be able to have my charges lowered since I am showing initiative for something not to happen again?

What a Judge will do I cannot say but its is excellent idea and I suspect will do what you want. I know somone who knows the Director of such a program. You can reach this person through website in my signature line. Or at email below

sayc_2009@yahoo.com

Thanks for all the replies and I am already looking into a theft class. I have one last question (for today at least). I am wondering if asking the judge (if i am allowed to do that) for an ACD would be at all benificial for my situation. I don't know much about it but I do know I can have the case dismissed after 6 months based on good behaviour. I don't know how someone would go about getting that but I was wondering if you knew any info on it. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back