Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion First Time Offense...Grand Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TritonD3

Ok...so this is my first offense ever, so I am completely unknowledgeable as to what is going to happen or how to handle this.

I live in California. I have a notice to appear in court.

"This is to advise you that a misdemeanor complaint has been filed against you for the violation of:

PC 503 Embezzlement
PC 459/460(b) Second Degree Commercial Burglary
PC 487(a) Grand Theft of Personal Property"

So basically, I have a few questions that I would extremely appreciate any help with...

1) What is a range of what could happen to me and the probability of going to jail. I believe the amount in question comes to about $7,000 in merchandise.

2) When I go in to the court, will I be asked for a plea....and if I want a public defender, what should my plea be?

3) Will the Grand Theft charge, or any of them, be filed as a felony even though the notice says "a misdemeanor complaint"?

So basically....I have a million things I could ask...so any help or insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

All your questions will be answered when you go to court.

Ask for the public defender when you go to court.

1) What is a range of what could happen to me and the probability of going to jail. I believe the amount in question comes to about $7,000 in merchandise.
You could be acquitted, or, you could go to prison ... and anything in between. The odds of any particular thing happening will depend on factors we don't know - the strength of the case, the details of the crime, etc.

2) When I go in to the court, will I be asked for a plea....and if I want a public defender, what should my plea be?
If you want a public defender and cannot afford a private attorney, then you will likely have to plead "not guilty" at arraignment and ask for appointed counsel.

3) Will the Grand Theft charge, or any of them, be filed as a felony even though the notice says "a misdemeanor complaint"?
It sounds as if they are filing as a misdemeanor ... but, that can change at any time prior to trial.

As previously advised, you will have to ask your attorney these questions because only he or she will have access to the reports.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back