Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft First time in court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrid

I have an arraignment this Friday. I'm being charged with petty theft and use of criminal tools. What exactly is going to happen at the arraignment? I'm a first time offender, I don't have a record, and I am very sorry for what I did. What punnishment am I most likely to receive?

What state are you in?

During your arraignment, plead not guilty. This will get you time to apply for the public defender or obtain private counsel.

You are looking at jail time and/or a fine.

I'm in Ohio. I'm 19 if that makes a difference. Should I plead not guilty if I've already given some kind of statement? When the police talked to me, they had me fill out a statement for the judge. I didn't know what to do so I basically said I was sorry for what I did.

Yes, pleading not guilty buys you time to get legal representation. They can then give you advice to follow. Without a lawyer you risk ruining your criminal history at such a young age.

Remember, it is the cops job to arrest you. It is the prosecutors job to convict you. It is your lawyers job to minimize the impact this has on you.

Everyone has a role. Also, don't steal anymore, its not worth it. Let us know how your arraignment went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back