Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion First offense shoplifter charged with Burglary? What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

castellon_c

Hello, I have a question about a current situation that I am involved in. I made a stupid decision, and probably the worst one of my life. Last week on Friday I shoplifted at a Macy's department store. I was attempting to take two sweaters which values totaled to be something like 250$. But I used a pair of needle nose pliers to take off the sensors and damaged the products. The total civil demand that Macy's charged me for is 583$. I did not have my wallet ID or anything on me when I was caught except my cell phone, keys, the pliers, and a Macy's gift card that I had found which ended up having no money on it. The loss prevention staff questioned me about my intents and I was scared so I tried to cooperate as best as possible by signing a bunch of papers. I admitted that I planned on stealing and claimed the pliers as mine in order to cooperate in hopes of easing the process. Later the police arrived and arrested me and took me to county jail. I was charged with burglary. I am now out on bail and my court date is this Monday. This is my first offense and I have no previous criminal record. I am a full time college student and have a 3.5 consistent GPA. I am, however, not currently working but am getting a job within the next week. So given my situation, my questions are; what are my next steps when I go to court? What should I say and do you think I will be able to reduce the charge from a felony to something lower? Should I plea not guilty before my public defender is assigned to me? I am sorry I am clueless when it comes to the system. Any help would be so gratefully appreciated. Again, thank you so much in advance.

You should do nothing and say nothing until you have legal counsel.
Since you were arrested and have pending court action, don't be in a rush to pay their civil demand. The court will ultimately order you to pay something, but various things could happen that could reduce the amount you are ordered to pay. You are not obligated to pay a penny until a judge orders you to.
If it is a first offense (of any kind) then you may have some luck getting it reduced to petty theft- but you already said to much and talked yourself into the felony burglary charge.

When you go to court on Monday do not make any kind of plea- simply ask the court to appoint counsel and don't say anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back