Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Fired for Stealing Money and Employer is Prosecuting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pointhere

Today I was fired from my employer, a retail giant, for theft. They have evidence on me, and I admitted to, stealing $200 from my cash register. On another occasion after stealing the $200, I stole $100 but they made no mention of this during my firing and I did not mention it either. This is my first time committing a crime of any sort, I have done nothing like this in the past and have never been in trouble with the law aside from a couple speeding tickets.

They fired me, called the police in to the office, and they stated they are going to prosecute me for the $200 that I stole. The police officer's stated that they are going to have a detective look over everything and then get in contact with me. I was pretty scared and emotionally wrought at this point and did not fully understand everything they were telling me. I believe they stated though, that after I am contacted by the detective that I will arrange a time to turn myself in and get out on bail, most likely the same day. However, I also heard one of them mention issuing a warrant when talking to the loss prevention manager. After this I was allowed to leave and go home.

I know that what I did was wrong and, while I did have my reasons at the time, none of them were justified. In the end all this will only serve to hurt my wife and our life together. I admitted to the theft of the $200 and signed a statement explaining myself to the best of my ability, but I have several questions that I am hoping might be answered here.

What am I to expect in the next few days? Will a detective call me or stop by my house and let me know when to appear at court, or will they just show up to arrest me?

If I am arrested, or I meet with them to turn myself in, will I serve jail time? Will I have the option of bail? If I have the option of paying bail, at this time I would be hard pressed to pay it as I just lost our sole source of income.

What comes of the other $100 I stole? They made no mention of it but if they caught me the first time I am pretty sure they will notice the second time, if they haven't already, and didn't mention it for whatever reason. How should I handle this?

I am assuming it will just be best to honest and forthright about all of this but should I seek legal counsel? If so, again I will be in a bind financially.

I made a huge mistake. An attempt at fixing some of my mounting financial worries that will now cost me dearly. I realize that what I did was wrong and am very, very sorry for it. I am just hoping that by coming here I might be able to find some advice on what I should do next or at least what I should expect in the coming days.

Thank you to everyone that reads this and who may offer their assistance.

In an effort to get you all your questions can you put themin bullet form or similar (see example below)

. am I going to jail
. will I need a lawyer etc etc

Your questions are spread out through your post and this would be easier so you get all your answers

shrinkmaster said:
In an effort to get you all your questions can you put themin bullet form or similar (see example below)

. am I going to jail
. will I need a lawyer etc etc

Your questions are spread out through your post and this would be easier so you get all your answers

Yes, and thank you for responding so quickly.

1. Will a detective call me or stop by my house and let me know when to appear at court, or will they just show up to arrest me, and how quickly should I expect to hear from them?

2. If I am arrested or I arrange to turn myself in Will I need to see a bail bondsman or is there perhaps a chance they may just let me leave seeing as this is a first time offense?

3. They made no mention of the other $100 I stole. Should I come clean with this at some point or remain silent and hope for the best?

4. If I choose not to admit to the other $100 I stole and they find out about it later what will happen?

5. Should I seek legal counsel at all, and if so, what are my options seeing as I am in poor shape financially?

Thanks again for responding and I hope this made my questions a bit easier to locate and respond to.

1. Will a detective call me or stop by my house and let me know when to appear at court, or will they just show up to arrest me, and how quickly should I expect to hear from them?
I wish I had an answer. They have many options. If your lucky they will just call or write you a letter but impossible to say for certain
2. If I am arrested or I arrange to turn myself in Will I need to see a bail bondsman or is there perhaps a chance they may just let me leave seeing as this is a first time offense?
I doubt bail will be requiured since this misdemeanor and you hopefully have no prior record

3. They made no mention of the other $100 I stole. Should I come clean with this at some point or remain silent and hope for the best?
You need to talk to a Lawyer and answer no question from Police or retailer until you have

4. If I choose not to admit to the other $100 I stole and they find out about it later what will happen?
They will likely add that dollar value to charge or add an additional count. Discuss this with your Lawyer

5. Should I seek legal counsel at all, and if so, what are my options seeing as I am in poor shape financially?
YES! talk to a lawyer. Many offer free consultations get as many as you can. Discuss defense and plea options like Diversion

Thank you very much for your help and for responding so quickly. I will take your advice and get in touch with a lawyer tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back