Fined for red light violation after 12 years

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I live in San Antonio right now. I just received a letter in the mail from a law firm claiming I owe $300+ for a red light violation and expired parking meter. This is the first time I'm hearing about this. The years listed for these two violations are years I lived in Chicago, but how is it legal to contact me 12 years later for something that I have no memory of? I lived in Seattle for 5 years and Oakland for 4 years. It's not like I have been hard to reach. I know that Chicago is short on money and raising their taxes on their residents. So, I'm wondering if the city is just trying to make some money, hoping I will just pay them and not ask any questions. Is there any way to fight this?

I live in San Antonio right now. I just received a letter in the mail from a law firm claiming I owe $300+ for a red light violation and expired parking meter. This is the first time I'm hearing about this. The years listed for these two violations are years I lived in Chicago, but how is it legal to contact me 12 years later for something that I have no memory of? I lived in Seattle for 5 years and Oakland for 4 years. It's not like I have been hard to reach. I know that Chicago is short on money and raising their taxes on their residents. So, I'm wondering if the city is just trying to make some money, hoping I will just pay them and not ask any questions. Is there any way to fight this?
Did you verify that there really is outstanding fines?

The latter from the "law firm" is nothing you have any obligation to acknowledge. This is a collection agency that will use any means possible to pursue or scare you into paying them.
I would ignore anything other than official court documents compelling me to appear at a particular time and date.

That is truly messed up--I would fight it.
Thanks Juliano Fernandes

This isn't Facebook or Twitter. It's a legal advice website and you cluttering up threads with meaningless comments is not welcome. Please refrain from doing so in the future and if you want to make comments like this I suggest you stick to your social media accounts - this isn't the place for it.

Back