1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Fined for red light violation after 12 years

Discussion in 'Speeding Tickets, Traffic & Moving Violations' started by SavedByGraceAndNotTheLaw, May 6, 2019.

1. SavedByGraceAndNotTheLaw

SavedByGraceAndNotTheLaw Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Illinois
    I live in San Antonio right now. I just received a letter in the mail from a law firm claiming I owe $300+ for a red light violation and expired parking meter. This is the first time I'm hearing about this. The years listed for these two violations are years I lived in Chicago, but how is it legal to contact me 12 years later for something that I have no memory of? I lived in Seattle for 5 years and Oakland for 4 years. It's not like I have been hard to reach. I know that Chicago is short on money and raising their taxes on their residents. So, I'm wondering if the city is just trying to make some money, hoping I will just pay them and not ask any questions. Is there any way to fight this?

2. justblue

justblue Active Member

Did you verify that there really is outstanding fines?

3. mightymoose

mightymoose Well-Known Member

The latter from the "law firm" is nothing you have any obligation to acknowledge. This is a collection agency that will use any means possible to pursue or scare you into paying them.
    I would ignore anything other than official court documents compelling me to appear at a particular time and date.