Filthy Carpeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNielsen71

My wife, 3 children and myself moved into an apartment in June 2013. Upon inspection of the unit, we noticed the living room carpeting was soiled and quite old. (I'd age the carpeting somewhere in the mid to late 80's). I brought this ton the attention of our LL and it was marked on the inspection list that he kept. Two days before we moved in, he claimed that the carpet was cleaned and the unit was ready to be moved into.
The day we started moving in, I noticed that the carpet looked like it was vacuumed quite nicely, but not cleaned whatsoever. The carpet still smelled like grease, smelly feet and was soiled heavily in high-traffic areas. The carpet is also very matted and pulling/ripping away from the tack strips that divide rooms. Even if this carpet was cleaned, it's still at least 20 years old, filthy and smells. The LL has acknowledged the nasty carpet ans has told us that he would replace it several times and has still failed to do so. We are good tenants. We've never been late with rent and have stayed more than within the confines of the lease agreement. In the state of Wisconsin, isn't there a law that carpet has to be replaced every so many years? If there is a law, what can we do to get our LL to replace this carpet? Also, if he fails to grant our request, what legal recourse do we have? I have a disabled daughter who likes to be on the floor a lot, but we can't let her because of the condition of the carpet. Thank you...

Unfortunately there is no law in Wisconsin that a carpet has to be replaced in a rental every so many years.

Would it be beneficial for you to purchase a large throw rug to place on top of the current one for your daughter to be on. Or for you to pay the cost of getting the current one steam cleaned? It often surprising what a good steam cleaning company can get out of a carpet (far better than one of those "do it yourself rental steam cleaners").

Gail

Unfortunately there is no law in Wisconsin that a carpet has to be replaced in a rental every so many years.

Would it be beneficial for you to purchase a large throw rug to place on top of the current one for your daughter to be on. Or for you to pay the cost of getting the current one steam cleaned? It often surprising what a good steam cleaning company can get out of a carpet (far better than one of those "do it yourself rental steam cleaners").

Gail

Great idea, Gail.

More times than not, self help, with permissions of course; can be the best path to making everything better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back