Filling chapter 7 to discharge 70K debts as foreign student . Please advice?

punter

Hello Attorneys,

I am a PhD Student on F1-Visa status. I have debts of 70K (Credit cards 50 K, Personal loans - 9K and Car loan- 11k) over the period of 5 years credit history with SSN. I lost money in stock trading over 140K last 3 years. Currently , I don't have any job and doing my PhD. Please advise how to file a chapter 7? Will bankruptcy filing in VA state affect my future immigration status (Greencard etc)? Please advise . Thank you

Please advise how to file a chapter 7?

Here you go, have yourself a look see:

Court Locations

Arlington County Bankruptcy Court Info - Virginia Eastern District Bankruptcy Court

Filing Without an Attorney

How to File for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy: A Step-by-Step Guide

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy: What It Is, How to File, the Means Test & More

How to File "Chapter 7" Bankruptcy Yourself | The 8 Steps

How to File for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Will bankruptcy filing in VA state affect my future immigration status (Greencard etc)?

Debt is NOT a crime in this country.

If what you say is true, a BK filing should have no impact on your ability to stay in the USA.

Please advise how to file a chapter 7?

Not really sure what you're asking. You file bankruptcy by filling out a petition form and the necessary schedules and taking it to the court clerk's office (although it may be that electronic filing is now mandatory in all districts).

Will bankruptcy filing in VA state affect my future immigration status (Greencard etc)?

Quite likely. Based on what you wrote, you are pretty much the poster child for folks who oppose liberal immigration (i.e., someone who comes into the country and, within 5 years, runs up significant debt and then seeks to stiff his/her creditors).

Quite likely. Based on what you wrote, you are pretty much the poster child for folks who oppose liberal immigration (i.e., someone who comes into the country and, within 5 years, runs up significant debt and then seeks to stiff his/her creditors).

The law would have to change first before it would affect the OP's immigration status. That some Americans might not like the OP's circumstances doesn't really mean much unless those Americans convince Congress to change the laws to make bankruptcy meaningful to immigration. Frankly, what the OP has done is not any different than what many thousands or millions of Americans have done. Running up debt is not a crime, and the creditors made the business decision to grant the credit and thus are responsible for taking that gamble. It's not like someone forced them to lend to foreign students, after all.

Back