1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

filed for a partition and countersued

Discussion in 'Joint Ownership' started by cj19, Aug 15, 2016.

  1. cj19

    cj19 Law Topic Starter Guest

    New York
    Hello! I bought a multifamily home with an ex friend and coworker a little over 2 years ago. Prior to purchasing we had known each other for many years. We purchased the house 50/50 through a real estate agent. He told me in January that they wanted to sell the house and that they would sell it to me. However he changed their mind after I pulled my credit at the bank. I filed to partition the property so that we can sell it. They countersued saying that they loaned me $25,000 cash but that I refuse to pay to stop the process. This is a lie. What can I do?

    Thank you!
  2. mightymoose

    mightymoose Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    If they are suing you then they will have to produce evidence.
    What can you do? Hire an attorney to assist you, or at the very least file a response indicating why the claim is frivolous.
  3. adjusterjack

    adjusterjack Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Partition actions are complicated and expensive. If you filed one without a lawyer, you'd better hire one now.

Share This Page