Fees paid and returned now license suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbsteveo

I'm in Long Beach Calif.
I received a ticket for improper left turn. All traffic was diverted to the right lane for dui check point (I thought it was just a traffic jamb) so I made a left turn from the only open lane and was ticketed for such. The date ticketed was on 7/14/07. (Due date was 10/09/07). On 10/06/07 I mailed (from the main post office) the court 2 checks (along with the bill stub from the court), one for the bail amount of $159.00 and one for traffic school $39.00. I did not hear any thing from them, so I assumed all was fine.
Not until Dec. 05, 2007 (I kept the envelope with date samp) I received both of my checks back from Court and a notice dated November 27th that I must either pay full bail of $742.00 or schedule a court appearance to resolve this matter. (at the bottom is a note that says) the court may also add $300 civil assessment and send it to a collection agency along with w/ a hold or suspension of my license. I then call the court to schedule a court date and was told they cannot help me because it has been sent to a collection agency and I would have to schedule the court date through them. So, I then called the collection agency and the soonest court date available is June 4th 2008. (If I paid the fine now I would have to give up my court appearance) Now, Dec 6th I receive a notice from the DMV stating that my driving privilege is suspended as of Jan 05, 2008. So I called back the Collection agency and was told my options are either pay the $742.00 or drive with a suspended license until June 4th when I go to court.
My main point is what's the reason for the increase of the fine from $159.00 to $742.00 and why did it take two months for them to return my checks. By the time I got them back it had already been sent to the DMV and the collection agency. Any ideas how I can get this resolved prior to the suspension of my license.
Thanks for help you can give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back