1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Federal excon can be mail-in voting witness?

Discussion in 'Criminal Records, Expungement' started by digitaldude02271, Oct 2, 2020.

1. digitaldude02271

digitaldude02271 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Virginia
    Mail-in voting in my state requires a witness signature confirming I received my presidential general election ballot. Can a former federal criminal convict legally sign as my mail-in voting ballot witness? I recall (unless I am mistaken) they can't vote, but the instructions state that "anyone age 18 or older that is not your employer" can be a witness.

2. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

digitaldude02271 likes this.
  3. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

According to Absentee and Early Voting - Virginia Department of Elections

You don't even need a witness.

To all Virginians voting by mail/absentee ballots for the November 3, 2020 elections:
    If you believe you may not safely have a witness present while completing the absentee ballot for the November 3, 2020 Election, you are not required to have a witness present or have a witness sign your ballot envelope.
    Your ballot will not be rejected due to a missing witness signature. These instructions override any instructions on your ballot envelopes regarding witness signatures.

4. PayrollHRGuy

5. digitaldude02271

digitaldude02271 Law Topic Starter New Member

Thanks very much, @Michael Wechsler and @PayrollHRGuy! I especially appreciate you both including the reference articles for strengthening evidence toward your answers. I think it is likely that Virginia's online ballot tracking is available for my ballot also. I will prefer to have no signature and mail it out asap, and I don't anticipate issues but the tracking is reassuring to make sure things go according to plan.

Atty likes this.
  6. PayrollHRGuy