Father's Died; Debt collections and Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raacali

I am not sure if this is the correct category to post this in, hopefully my question will still be answered.

My father passed away in November of last year and left us with debts with various banks, credit cards, loans, etc. The house still has an owed amount and was entirely in his name. My mother just recently got the house refinanced solely in her name. All owed amounts to collectors that were under my mother AND father's name have been paid off. All other's that had just my father's name, have not been paid off. They've all been sent a copy of his death certificate.

Can any of the collectors place a lien on the home even though the house is no longer in my father's name? What financial responsibilities would my mother have with these collectors, if any? I guess, my question is whether or not anyone can go after my mother for any of these debts, including taking her home?

Thanks in advance for your time and efforst!

Q: Can any of the collectors place a lien on the home even though the house is no longer in my father's name?

A: It may be possible to place a lien on the property IF pa owned it at the time of his death. It depends on how it was titled.

Q; What financial responsibilities would my mother have with these collectors, if any?

A: If pa left any assets, you have to use up to the amount of the assets to pay the bills. After that, the creditors are out of luck but they will hound you for about three or four years.

Thank you seniorjudge, that helps a lot. My mother has done as you've explained; she has used up the amount of assets to pay the bills and still there are more bills left. She does not have enough to pay the rest and we, her kids, have given what we can to help her.

According to my mother, the loan for the home was in my father's name, however, the title was in my father and mother's name. My mother also informed me that all of their vehicles were both in my father and mother's name, she has removed his name from the title of the vehicles.

Are these considerd assets?

They are all completely paid off, is there a possibility that these collectors can go after her vehicles as well?

Is there any way she and/or we can do to protect her home and cars from these collectors?

Thanks again seniorjudge! I know you are a busy person, and I truly appreciate your time and efforts!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back