Father trying to collect punitive damages for lack of visitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

stressn36

My 17 year old daughter and I (the mother) currently live in Oklahoma. When my daughter was 23 months old, we all, including the father, lived in Pennsylvania. The father and I were never married. One day the father decided to take a bottle of pills and wash it down with alcohol. He was home alone with my daughter at the time. I asked him to move out. No contact from him and then my mother started to receive threatening letters from him. A police report was filed. Nothing for 2 years, then one day I was served papers because he wanted shared custody. We went to court and he was ordered to pay child support of $184 month and awarded supervised visitation, three hours and Saturday and three hours on Sunday every other week, to be supervised by a third party. By this time I was living in Ohio and he was in Arkansas, but court was held in Pennsylvania.

He came to see her three times over the next year, for a total of 18 hours of contact. He then stopped visiting and stopped calling with no explanation. Three years later I contacted the courts in PA and made to make them aware of me moving to FLorida. I was told the file was "inactive" because he had not paid any child support in over three years. I tried to contact the father using the last known number and address, with no luck. I moved to Florida and remained there until 2004.

In 2004, I moved to Oklahoma. According to PA, their case was closed. I had no contact information, child support couldn't find him, but this was the closest I have lived to his last known address in Arkansas. In 2006, my daughter's father requested her as a friend in MySpace, she initally accepted then, according to my daughter, he "creeped her out" (her words) by an email he sent, so she took him off. He contacted me upset, I told him I had nothing to do with it but he still had supervised visitation, and MySpace contact is not. It turns out child support in Ohio had found him and started garnishing his wages. He never asked to visit.

He is now not paying support again. He owes about $13,000. And I found out since finding out we were in Oklahoma, he moved to Florida and then to Michigan (within a year of each other).

Then nothing until last month when he again requested he on MySpace and Facebook, she asked him to please not request her as he had supervised visitation. He is now angry, says I have "kept him from her" for all these years and he is going to "make me pay" and I "should fear him". He is trying to take me to court to collect puntive damages for all of his "lost time". Is this something that he could get? Is my daughter within her rights to deny him due to the visitation order? He has not seen her in 12 years.
[/U
]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back