1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Family member deported, can they get a tourist visa Other Visitation

Discussion in 'Visiting the U.S., Passports' started by Laurabs, Jan 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Laurabs

Laurabs Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Nevada
    My father was deported 8 years ago. He has a 10 year sentence. I graduate in May from University and was hoping he could be there. Is there any way that he could get a tourist visa? It would only be for that, not to stay or anything. If yes, would this cause any interruptions to the 10 years.
    I would like to add that he has no criminal record or misdoings (tax invasion, etc.)

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

I would suggest Facetime, or some other similar technology, to allow your father to "be there" for your graduation.

Congratulations!

Red Kayak likes this.
  3. KatDini

KatDini Well-Known Member

Most colleges are now live-streaming their graduation ceremonies.

Yes, he did something illegal if he was deported and banned from entering this country for 10 years. o_O

hrforme, Zigner and justblue like this.
  4. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Then what does the following mean?

I don't know of any reason why he might have a "sentence" unless he has been convicted of a crime.

Also, why else would he have been deported if he had "no criminal record or misdoings"?

Zigner likes this.
  5. flyingron

flyingron Well-Known Member

I think the poster means he has a ten-year bar on admissibility. Such is what happens when you are deported. The only way he will be considered for any entrance into the US is if he gets a waiver of that bar first . The bar is only going to be lifted if you an show "extreme hardship" on YOUR part (not the deportees). Chances are the way things are going at CIS these days, the ten years will be up before they act on it anyhow.