Purchase & Sale Family holding money from sale of Investment property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Family

A family member gifted a portion of an investment property to several family members over a year ago. This property has since been sold and some members have received their money while the "gifter" has held on to a money of a few other members myself included. Is this legal? They claim it has been put in a trust. I thought the funds had to be distributed within (X) amount of time from the sale. Can they legally put my money in a trust without my authorization? Thanks for all thoughts!

How was the property gifted?
Can you prove you were ever a legal owner?

It was broken into % per person and yes I have IRS paperwork( I think a K-1) that was filed last year and waiting for this years paperwork. I am very concerned because I will have a huge tax liability based on the sale and have no transaction authorization to the bank account they placed the funds into last summer.

Last edited:
Gather your documentation and go get an initial consult from a local attorney. A good attorney can likely intimidate whoever is holding your money and get you results without having to go to court. I say this assuming there is nothing in the documentation that permits the trust rather than a payout to you.

Thank you so much for your advice will look up a local attorney this weekend. And no there is nothing about a trust. It was suppose to be dispersed when the property sold in July, but family politics got involved and they decided to withhold paying out myself and another family member.

Agree that if you have documentation that the money from the sale of the property was to be dispersed to all family members listed at the time of the sale, talk to an attorney & see what he/she can do for you. The attorney might write a letter to the family member (gifter) holding the money requesting that your share be paid out to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back